• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Amp Kit for newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello-- I hope this is the right forum area. I am fairly new to electronics, but I am getting pretty good at building kits and soldering, etc. I would like to find a decent, fairly inexpensive stereo tube amp kit that I would be proud to actually listen to music on. (I listen to a lot of pop, underground, and experimental music, so I would like something that can handle all kind of music well. I tried to do an internet search, but there is just too much out there to know where to begin.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best,
Peter

what's your budget? Also try the search engine on this site. Type "Kit", be sure to limit the search to the tube forum and search titles only at first.

The K-12 or k-502 is about as cheap as they come. It does not include an enclosure, but there are plenty of enclosure options available. One of my amps is the K-502 and it sounds good when paired with the right speakers.

starro said:
Hello-- I hope this is the right forum area. I am fairly new to electronics, but I am getting pretty good at building kits and soldering, etc. I would like to find a decent, fairly inexpensive stereo tube amp kit that I would be proud to actually listen to music on. (I listen to a lot of pop, underground, and experimental music, so I would like something that can handle all kind of music well. I tried to do an internet search, but there is just too much out there to know where to begin.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best,
Peter

Peter,

The speakers you use strongly affect the decision you make. Paul Joppa has provided us with a VERY useful rule of thumb. Joppa's Rule states that for a "typical" listening space, an amp speaker combo should be capable of 102 dB. SPL peaks at a 1 M. distance. Not only is efficiency as issue, the impedance curve of speakers is also important. Tube power amps don't have the gargantuan damping factors SS units have. Speakers that mate well with tube amps have "flat" impedance curves.

I suggest you look for speakers that have efficiencies in the 92 - 95 dB. range. 8 - 12 WPC work with those speakers and affordable, good performing, amps can be executed in that power range.

k-502 kits are still available at www.tubesandmore.com.

The speakers I have had good luck with, when matched with this amp are

-JBL L100's, gives a warm buttery vintage sound. Use the stock crossover only. The upgraded crossovers work well in these speakers, but not when paired with this amp.

-Fostex FE167E bassed speaker. Build your own, or purchase a pre-built. It sounded horrible initially, but after adding a Zobel (values 10ohm and 6.8uF) and lowering (or removing) the feedback on the amp it soundes really good, clear & detailed, yet smooth. Good low end extension and not fatiguing at all. You can listen and enjoy for hours on end.

Fostex FE127 would probably be a good match too, but you would more than likely need a sub with it.

The only modifications I have done to my k-502 is delete the input coupling caps by using a jumpers and replace the rest of the coupling caps with Wima MKP4. I plan to add a choke to the power supply and upgrade the rectifiers to reduce the hum, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I take it you mean the S.E.X. amp
Its only 120V so its not fore us in EU, but I believe its a nice kit with hard wood base and all, and possibility to upgrade on transformers
as fore power I think its in the level of the Decware which is probably much easier to build, but you may learn more from the S.E.X

Just to add a further 2c worth, one of the point to point amps I built was a pretty close copy of the topology in those K-xxx amps. It has the very small 10 Watt Edcor output transformers and sounds fine, but I found that the Simple PP by Tubelab beats it hands down. If you want a push-pull amp you might be interested in the thread by Tubelab about his EL84 simple PP project. Looks very promising. Also his "spud amp anyone?" thread talks of his spud amp development.

Good luck!

Chris

I'll have to second the recommendation on the SimpleSE - it is a very good sounding amplifier in basic configuration and if you decide to spend a bit more for better parts the sound will impress that much more.

I have run my SimpleSE with KT88 tubes and a fairly inefficient set of speakers and still get loud, full range sound, including lots of bass. I do have better (CXSE Edcor) transformers and I used audio grade coupling caps, amongst other things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.