• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Amp Kit for newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter,

I maybe posting rather late on this thread but I have to agree with chrish and zap. The Tubelab Simple Se is the best amp I have ever built with more than enough power to satisfiy me. I use the Edcor CSXE transfomers also, with EL34's. You can't go wrong with it and George (Tubelab) is always helpful if you have questions.

Dan

Re: Re: Tube Amp Kit for newbie

Eli Duttman said:

Speakers that mate well with tube amps have "flat" impedance curves.

I suggest you look for speakers that have efficiencies in the 92 - 95 dB. range. 8 - 12 WPC work with those speakers and affordable, good performing, amps can be executed in that power range.

Any suggestions other than Fostex based ones?

another plus for the Tubelab simple SE is that it can use popular and widely available valves/tubes such as el34, kt88 and some others -interchangeable without any adjustments. It is quite flexible and you have allot of choice in experimenting with the sound with different valve types

monkeywrenching,

Since you're also using the CXSE's I'd love to hear more about the operating point you're using for the EL34's. I've got a pair of EH 6CA7s and I'm less impressed with them than the EH KT88's. If you want, you can reply off thread so as not to steer it too far off course.

Hotsauce said:
I would add in to these recommendations the Triode Electronics ST70 kit.

Enough wattage to run almost any speaker, and it can be setup to run almost any output tube.

John C.

That ST70 kit might be an excellent choice. Although I agree SimpleSE, S5 kits, etc. are nice amps especially if the cost is considered, but building a proper chassis/case is PITA when you don't have proper tools already. And if you're not going to DIY for many other projects, those tools cost a lot.

Doug

Millerlitescott,

I put in a little more money than I had planned on. I started with next to nothing in my supply bins but after reading post after post and talking with George, I changed my direction. I originally wanted a small investment, and you can with the SE, but my "eyes" got bigger with the options that you can add on. So I started big instead of adding on later. I conned my wife into purchasing the OPT's and PT as a birthday present. Then picked parts up slowly as I saved.I may have $500.00 total in it with the chassis but being able to say I did this is worth more. Plus I was out her hair every night. This link:

http://www.tubelab.com/AssemblyManualSimpleSE/TubesAndTransformers_SSE.htm

will take you to the "Tubes and Transformers Choices" page and there are some values on wattage.
Dan

You talked about tools and then asked about MD, so I guess I'm qualified to answer to that question: I'm in Columbia.

I have two populated PCB's of SimpleSE sitting on my desk, waiting to be converted to push-pull monoblocks. Phase splitting will be done by 1:1+1 input trannies.
I'm just having headache planning on chassis.

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.