• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Time to mourn the death of Broskie's Tube CAD blog?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Steve Bench's and John Broskies's sites are services to the worldwide community. It would be sad to see either go, but let's just be grateful either of them were there in the first place...

Edit: And let's not forget Frank's site, without which many projects would have been still-born.

Think JB might be interested in having it on his site? .... I emailed Steve Bench at the beginning of the week when I outed the impending demise of his site on another thread. So far I have not heard back from him so I must assume he is no longer paying much attention to this..... Incidentally it is not too cool to rehost this material somewhere else without the original owner's permission, so until SB weighs in on this I wouldn't.. I can't imagine he would have any particular issue with it, but that is his decision to make not ours.

I found Steve's site several years ago and I must admit that his postings started more of my early experiments than JB's did. If he agrees, I can put his material up on my site.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mashaffer said:
lwp-rget in UNIX/mac OS-X shows some promise but I have run into glitches with it.

Download iCab (http://www.icab.de/)
go to the sites index page. File>Download. Set the download to all files in the same folder, and set "configure limits" to real large and then suck the entire site down as a web archive.

I got both Broskies & Benches site last night.

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
kevinkr said:
Neither wsa or wget seem to pull down more than just the home page.. What am I missing? -MR on wget should work?

I have been using adobe to archive the site and while this works well it is a bit laborious.

-MR did the trick and I pulled down the entire site. Fixed home page to work with relative rather than absolute url addressing.

Also you may discover a few corrupt gif files that somehow have been converted to directories with what appear to be index.html files in each. (They are actually gifs) The fix is to rename the index.html to the proper file name, and then copy it out to a new directory and delete the offending corrupt file. Copy the "fixed" file back and all is well.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
kevinkr said:

-MR did the trick and I pulled down the entire site. Fixed home page to work with relative rather than absolute url addressing.

Also you may discover a few corrupt gif files that somehow have been converted to directories with what appear to be index.html files in each. (They are actually gifs) The fix is to rename the index.html to the proper file name, and then copy it out to a new directory and delete the offending corrupt file. Copy the "fixed" file back and all is well.

is it possible that Steve's site is just 3,4MB ?

I pulled it down , but thorough checking is PITA .

TIA

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Geek said:

It was 5.8MB tarred and gzipped here.

Want a big one? wget -mr http://www.tubecad.com

Downloaded: 94,481,530 bytes in 4488 files

:bigeyes:

shoot me , when you have time ;

you know addy

:rofl:

(piccie - big one - a month ago : )

Attachments

• tcad.gif
    tcad.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 258
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Zen Mod said:

is it possible that Steve's site is just 3,4MB ?

I pulled it down , but thorough checking is PITA .

TIA

The archive I built when I pulled it down is 6.63MB and I seem to have got the whole thing. Modified the home page and works fine. Total file count should be around 343 files. Most are very compact, and I might try zipping it to see how much further reduction is possible.

Still have not heard anything from SB, I suspect sadly that this site will be going away shortly. (Not withstanding various web archives out there.) There have been no updates in 4 yrs either so this site is probably an orphan at this point anyway. I can't recall him ever posting here either, although that could be wrong..

Attachments

• sbenchsite.jpg
    sbenchsite.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 228
Frank's Datasheets Unavailable?

For a few days already all the datasheets are unavailable at Frank's site. The site is up and the info pages are there, but not the datasheets, links to mirrors don't seem to be working either. I sent a message to the hosting webmaster. I'm not sure that Frank knows about the situation. Is there anybody who can contact him?

Thanks!

What do you mean by "direct browse"? The links to the datasheets are there, but did you try to retrieve a datasheet?

I've received a reply from the webmaster at Frank's site, as far as I can understand Polish, the hosting server had security rules changed and access to datasheets is denied because there is no index.html in the datasheets directory.

Anyway, he gave me Frank's email and I'm going to notify him.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.