• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

MENG Series "EL34B" Integrated Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MENG Series "EL34B" Integrated Amplifier

i am brand new to the world off tube amps.
i recieved brand new, never been out of the box, Layfete record player. with some old jazz records i thought i should get a tube amp.
i purchased this guy off ebay, and yes, because it was cheep!
i knew i should have just spent the extra money.

when i turned it on the the tubes started to glow so i layed the needle on the record.
great sound came from the right channel and a hi hiss came from the left.
i thought it might be the record player so i hooked up the cd player.
same hiss and only one channel of music. :(
i checked all conection so it has got to be the amp.

i also noticed a low hiss coming from the right channel when no music is playing.

can anyone help out a novice?

thanks

First of all, the amp has high voltage inside, be careful!!!!
Since there is hiss coming from the right channel, I will guess there is no input into either the balance control (if there is one) or the volume control. If there is a stereo, mono, reverse kind of switch, check that too. Also, check the obvious to see all the right channel tubes are working.

Good luck!!

thank you for the help. i haven't ventured into taking the cover off. i don't know if i am that brave yet.

i checked all the ususal suspects, inputs and speaker conicetions, and cables. all where good.

i then tried to switch the tubes and sure enough sound from the left and not the right.

turns out that the one of the small12ax7 doesn't work.

instead of waiting for the company to send me a new one from the other side of the world, i went and bought 2 matching Electro-Harmonik 12ax7's and four Electro-Harmonik el34's.

i figured it could not hurt to have all matching, new, nice tubes.

they are sitting here on my desk and i can't wait to get home and plug them in.

thanks again for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.