Pics of unique design of amp chassis? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2008, 06:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pics of unique design of amp chassis?

Hi all

I'm having such a hard time building chassis for my amp project, both SS and tube. But since the most progressed one is right now SimpleSE-PP, so I'm posting this question on tubes forum.

I had access to industrial drilling machine, lathe, etc., before so making even Jeff Rowland stayle chassis was not a problem, but I don't even have a power drill now.

So I'm trying to get an idea to make a chassis which is simple but effective. It'd be best if it also looks good.

Has anyone seen very unique chassis or amp layout?
I wonder if anybody built a chassis using LEGO.

Thanks

Doug
Old 26th June 2008, 08:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Access to most all milling machines??
How bout milling out a seamless organic shape out of billet Aluminum, Bronze, Brass or copper?
________________________________________Rick...... ...
Once saw a "chassis" out of half a machined marblized Bowling ball!!
Old 26th June 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ellis
Access to most all milling machines??
How bout milling out a seamless organic shape out of billet Aluminum, Bronze, Brass or copper?
________________________________________Rick...... ...
Once saw a "chassis" out of half a machined marblized Bowling ball!!

That's a terrific idea, but I "had" access to those machine before, not any more. I don't even have a simple power drill.

Doug
Old 26th June 2008, 09:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Pics of unique design of amp chassis?

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Kim
I'm having such a hard time building chassis for my amp project, both SS and tube. But since the most progressed one is right now SimpleSE-PP, so I'm posting this question on tubes forum.

I had access to industrial drilling machine, lathe, etc., before so making even Jeff Rowland stayle chassis was not a problem, but I don't even have a power drill now.

So I'm trying to get an idea to make a chassis which is simple but effective. It'd be best if it also looks good.

Has anyone seen very unique chassis or amp layout?
I wonder if anybody built a chassis using LEGO.
I don't now how serious you were about not having even a drill, but very basic chassis' can be built using aluminum stock pieces (angle stock, tubing) purchased from Loews/Homedepot etc. and sheet aluminum or even Lexan. Small boxes can be constructed out of copper sheets purchased from hobby stores; DIY at its best.

Regards, Mike.
Old 26th June 2008, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

up-side down cake tin or roasting tray fixed ot a timber chopping board base. Minimal machining, stable usually in a black enamel finish, and sometimes teflon coated to boot!!!
Old 26th June 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Doug,
I'm glad you asked this - I was about to start a new thread. Now that I'm going to have at least one tube preamp/amp in my living room, I wanted to find some way of making a wife friendly chassis.

I have some nice hardwood floorboard strips (prevarnished) which would look very good on the sides & maybe front so I'm looking for something along the lines of a high gloss chrome finish plate which the tubes/trafos sit into!

Any ideas?
Old 26th June 2008, 09:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Good ideas:

1) Use rackmount parts. You can use the basic parts to make all sorts of creative shapes

2) Use taylor made extrusions. Here's a good site http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1401000&GC=710

I use these front and back in 2U, and wood sides - looks nice!! Easy to make a frame, and then you can fit a top or bottom. I use modular top plate - 100mm, 50mm etc - in 4mm alu. Doesn't bend! I use 275mm front to back, but that's your choice. I buy the 2 meter lengths and then have them sawn up. You can also use a wood front, have extruded sides, and a metal back with connectors on.

Andy Evans
Old 26th June 2008, 09:38 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Buy a few simple hand tools and an electric (cordless) drill and TiN or carbide drill bits.

Indispensable tools (to me anyway) :

Drill
Good drill index full of Titanium (TiN) or carbide bits
Assorted screwdrivers, both Phillips and flat head
Nibbling tool
Punch (for dimpling metal prior to drilling)
File(s)
Step drills
Chassis punches
Good metal rule
Bright light
First Aid Kit

This excludes electronic assembly tools like dikes, solder iron, etc.

Many tools are available inexpensively on eBay, during sales at Sears, flea markets, hamfests, craigslist.

Oh and I have my very own milling machine.. Still learning to use it.

www.onlinemetals.com sells aluminum channel, perforated and unperforated aluminum sheet stock. They will cut to within about 0.1" of your requested dimensions, and you can file to fit, and bolt together some nice chassis this way..

Here you can see a pair of chassis made from channel stock, and aluminum sheet stock. More than basic hand tools were used to fabricate these, but with patience you could get quite close. (A friend made these for me 10yrs ago, and I still have them.)

http://www.kta-hifi.net/projects/amp...mp/300bpp.html
Old 26th June 2008, 11:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
You can always pay Front Panel Express to mill you a chassis.
Old 27th June 2008, 12:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Very nice and dirt cheap:
http://www.mableaudio.com/www-web/sh...etal%20chassis
They already have holes for the power socket, fuse, input connectors (RCA) and output speaker posts. They even provide the power socket , fuse holder, power switch to suit and matching power switch and volume control knobs.

Oz folk (and others) - If you don't want to deal direct with China then contact Bob
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Bobs-Tube-Audio
He is the Australian agent and normally has most of this stuff in stock, if not he can get it in within a reasonable timeframe.

Cheers,
Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!