• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pics of unique design of amp chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the Velleman K4040 amp made me think that I could use a thin stainless steel sheet over a structural sheet of wood or anything really.

Has anybody done this? Know any suppliers of stainless steel sheet?

Lower weight would make shipping cheaper.

Attachments

• velleman k4040.gif
    velleman k4040.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 681
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jkeny said:
Kevinkr,
I'm looking this side but can find anything yet, that's why i wondered about thin stainless steel as a finish sheet.

I'd try to find some online hobbyist machinest group (mini lathes/mini mills) in the EU and see if they can steer you to a source. There is a group on Yahoo, but it is more focused on North America. (I have a small milling machine, hence the suggestion.)

Good ideas:

1) Use rackmount parts. You can use the basic parts to make all sorts of creative shapes

2) Use taylor made extrusions. Here's a good site Penn Elcom : MSB - Frame Extrusions

I use these front and back in 2U, and wood sides - looks nice!! Easy to make a frame, and then you can fit a top or bottom. I use modular top plate - 100mm, 50mm etc - in 4mm alu.
Andy Evans

Hi, Andy !

Thanks for the great tip. One of the smartest idea I have ever seen.
I'm was about to start re-tooling existing rack-mount server chassis. Now I'm understand this was dumb idea.

Can you please post pictures of finished units?
Thanks in advance.

It is so rare to find a good chassis design nowadays, so I'm posting this.

73.500 yens or about 650 euros. A chip amp with a tube buffer or an hybrid with mosfets. Don't know, probably you can get same thing in China for much less. Thing is, I would gladly pay the extra cash only because I like the design. It is a pleasure to look at.

22 [tu:tu:] HYBRID TUBE AMPLIFIER

Looks a lot like the famous and timeless Braun design

Attachments

• braun.jpg
    braun.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 437
The Japanese designer quoted ” LESS AND MORE : The Design Ethos of Dieter Rams” on his blog, so yes, same philosophy.

Any other info on it? Googled quite a bit and no internal pics or schematic.
I too subscribe to the Dieter Rams concept.

My amps use only a 'tilt' for tone control. The Japanese hybrid designer maybe same.
22 [tu:tu:] HYBRID TUBE AMPLIFIER

-

I've been making chassis out of a few feet of board and $6 of 1/8 aluminum plates for a bit now.

Here's cutting the box/apron:
Tube Amp Chassis for under $20 - Album on Imgur

And here's cutting top plates:
Cutting an aluminum tube amp top plate - Album on Imgur

The only power tool required is a drill.

Couple of the amps:

Finish is Danish Oil on both of those. The above method is a little time consuming (miter cuts, gluing, finishing) but it costs maybe $20 a chassis total and they come out looking nice.

I just got a power miter saw and I'm planning on trying a more precise inset plate for the next batch of amps.

Here's an example of using 19" rackmount parts for chassis. I use a 2U dimension. Very versatile, though not cheap. You need the horizontal rail and threaded insert. The top plates screw in and out easily. Top plate widths are 100, 70 and 50mm, which covers almost everything. Sometimes you need 120mm. I've used this modular construction for years, and I can and do re-cycle parts frequently. No need to breadboard either. It's very convenient to build an amplification stage or a power supply on a plate - easy to work on - then just screw it in and wire it to the other plates.

Attachments

• Denice good.jpg
    Denice good.jpg
    938.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 4P1L SET woddsides1.jpg
    4P1L SET woddsides1.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Pollin.jpg
    Pollin.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.