• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pics of unique design of amp chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I'm having such a hard time building chassis for my amp project, both SS and tube. But since the most progressed one is right now SimpleSE-PP, so I'm posting this question on tubes forum.

I had access to industrial drilling machine, lathe, etc., before so making even Jeff Rowland stayle chassis was not a problem, but I don't even have a power drill now.

So I'm trying to get an idea to make a chassis which is simple but effective. It'd be best if it also looks good.

Has anyone seen very unique chassis or amp layout?
I wonder if anybody built a chassis using LEGO.

Thanks

Doug

Richard Ellis said:
Access to most all milling machines??
How bout milling out a seamless organic shape out of billet Aluminum, Bronze, Brass or copper?
________________________________________Rick.........
Once saw a "chassis" out of half a machined marblized Bowling ball!!

That's a terrific idea, but I "had" access to those machine before, not any more. I don't even have a simple power drill. :D

Doug

Doug Kim said:
I'm having such a hard time building chassis for my amp project, both SS and tube. But since the most progressed one is right now SimpleSE-PP, so I'm posting this question on tubes forum.

I had access to industrial drilling machine, lathe, etc., before so making even Jeff Rowland stayle chassis was not a problem, but I don't even have a power drill now.

So I'm trying to get an idea to make a chassis which is simple but effective. It'd be best if it also looks good.

I don't now how serious you were about not having even a drill, but very basic chassis' can be built using aluminum stock pieces (angle stock, tubing) purchased from Loews/Homedepot etc. and sheet aluminum or even Lexan. Small boxes can be constructed out of copper sheets purchased from hobby stores; DIY at its best.

Regards, Mike.

Doug,
I'm glad you asked this - I was about to start a new thread. Now that I'm going to have at least one tube preamp/amp in my living room, I wanted to find some way of making a wife friendly chassis.

I have some nice hardwood floorboard strips (prevarnished) which would look very good on the sides & maybe front so I'm looking for something along the lines of a high gloss chrome finish plate which the tubes/trafos sit into!

Any ideas?

Good ideas:

1) Use rackmount parts. You can use the basic parts to make all sorts of creative shapes

2) Use taylor made extrusions. Here's a good site http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1401000&GC=710

I use these front and back in 2U, and wood sides - looks nice!! Easy to make a frame, and then you can fit a top or bottom. I use modular top plate - 100mm, 50mm etc - in 4mm alu. Doesn't bend! I use 275mm front to back, but that's your choice. I buy the 2 meter lengths and then have them sawn up. You can also use a wood front, have extruded sides, and a metal back with connectors on.

Andy Evans

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Buy a few simple hand tools and an electric (cordless) drill and TiN or carbide drill bits.

Indispensable tools (to me anyway) :

Drill
Good drill index full of Titanium (TiN) or carbide bits
Assorted screwdrivers, both Phillips and flat head
Nibbling tool
Punch (for dimpling metal prior to drilling)
File(s)
Step drills
Chassis punches
Good metal rule
Bright light
First Aid Kit

This excludes electronic assembly tools like dikes, solder iron, etc.

Many tools are available inexpensively on eBay, during sales at Sears, flea markets, hamfests, craigslist.

Oh and I have my very own milling machine.. :devilr: Still learning to use it.

www.onlinemetals.com sells aluminum channel, perforated and unperforated aluminum sheet stock. They will cut to within about 0.1" of your requested dimensions, and you can file to fit, and bolt together some nice chassis this way..

Here you can see a pair of chassis made from channel stock, and aluminum sheet stock. More than basic hand tools were used to fabricate these, but with patience you could get quite close. (A friend made these for me 10yrs ago, and I still have them.)

http://www.kta-hifi.net/projects/amp_page/300b_amp/300bpp.html

Very nice and dirt cheap:
http://www.mableaudio.com/www-web/shopview.asp?id=90&typename=metal chassis
They already have holes for the power socket, fuse, input connectors (RCA) and output speaker posts. They even provide the power socket , fuse holder, power switch to suit and matching power switch and volume control knobs.

Oz folk (and others) - If you don't want to deal direct with China then contact Bob
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Bobs-Tube-Audio
He is the Australian agent and normally has most of this stuff in stock, if not he can get it in within a reasonable timeframe.

Cheers,
Ian

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Doug Kim said:

He asks for pics, no pics so far. I have one.
No tubes inside but it is made from wood mainly (MDF and HDF) with some paint to pretty it up.

Yes, it is an amp, not a computer. Details here.

Attachments

• im001621.jpg
    im001621.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,640
Those are really interesting designs. Thanks!

I sometimes wish there is a vendor selling universal plates that can be used for different configurations.

For example, 5"x5" aluminum plates with different holes. 1 larger hole for SE output tube, or 2 larger holes for PP output, 2 small holes for gain and phase splitting tubes, square hole for power tranny, etc.
Combine 6 of them gives 15" x 10" amp. Also there might have to be a wooden or metallic base with rails that accomodates several 5"x5" plates.

I once thought about making those plates and bases, but I gave up because the only place that does metallic work (frontpanel express) charges significan amount, so it was not economical.

Doug

But it IS economical to do exactly as you say - have modular plates that can be used for set combinations. You don't have to go to a specific vendor - your local metal seller will usually cut sheets to size. I make all my plates from 4mm aluminium because it doesn't bend. So the modules are (275mm front to back):

100mm x 275: PSU - mains transformer plus rectifier, choke and caps.
100mm x 275: OPTs
70mm x 275: Output stage tubes x 4, or two outputs and two drivers.
50 x 275: Input stage tubes.
50 x 275: Interstages, etc.

So for a standard width rack size you have a total of 420mm wide to fill

a) Monoblok Push Pull
100mm x 275: OPT + interstage/extra smoothing/filament supplies etc
70mm x 275: Output stage tubes x 4
50 x 275: Driver stage tubes x 4
50 x 275: Interstages, etc.
50 x 275: Input stage tubes x 4

a) Stereo SE3
50 x 275: filaments etc
50 x 275: filaments etc or interstages
100mm x 275: OPTs
70mm x 275: Output stage tubes x 2, drivers x2
50 x 275: Input stage tubes x 2 + interstages

Andy

Andy,

Your sounds really convenient and neat. Thanks for sharing.

I'll look up some local metal shops and will make those modular plates.

I know designing a nice look to audio is one big thing for DIYers, but for those like me without proper tools, I just want to concentrate on circuits.

Doug

andyjevans said:
But it IS economical to do exactly as you say - have modular plates that can be used for set combinations. You don't have to go to a specific vendor - your local metal seller will usually cut sheets to size. I make all my plates from 4mm aluminium because it doesn't bend. So the modules are (275mm front to back):

Andy

Here's an example of a interstage coupled push pull 2A3 built modularly. The power transformer is connected via an umbilical and all the filtering , input and power stages are on 6" x 12" 1/8" Al plates. Someday, I'll actually get the thing to make sounds.

chassismount.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.