• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

100mA heater tubes for phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, here is an obscure one for you. I am planning a 6EM7 based integrated amp with phono. I wanted to try the old trick of putting the phono tube heaters in the output tube cathode circuit but the likely operating point for the output tubes is 50mA each = 100mA total. My initial choice of tube was the 12AY7 but it requires 150mA.

I had thought to use a bleeder resistor to supply the remaining current from B+ but that would be a whopper of a resistor and would be pushing the current limits of my transformer.

Well in flash of inspiration I decided to turn it around and see if there were appropriate phono tubes that required either 100 or 50mA heater current. Using Duncan's search capability I came up with a list of suspects which I have narrowed down (eliminated things like remote cutoff pentodes and power tubes etc.) to the following possibilities.

18FY6 Triode Dbl Diode u=100 $4.95
18GE6 Triode Dbl Diode u=70 $3.00
18GD6 Pentode $9.95

All have enough gain to be considered a possibility. Is anyone familiar enough with these tubes (or other possibilities that I missed) to opine as to their suitability for phono preamp service. Factors such as noise and microphonics are of course important.

mike

Mike,

Aside from the fact that the "Cheap Charlie" method of obtaining heater DC STINKS, you are overlooking the fact that 4 triodes are needed to complete a stereo phono section.

Building a 300 mA. regulated 12 VDC supply that supports a pair of 12AX7s is easy. Voltage double, using Schottky diodes, the O/P of a 2 A./6.3 VAC winding. Follow with a 7812 3 terminal regulator.

Thanks Eli;

I hadn't forgotten that four triodes were needed but I have plenty of real estate on my chassis and I need to drop 150V on the cathodes of the output tubes anyway.

I would be interested in what stinks about that approach. Being SE the DC would be pretty clean and the audio signal would be smaller than the AC on a normal heater supply wouldn't it? Heaters would be at higher potential than cathode.

Not being argumentative, really want to take advantage of your insight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.