• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help with OT for 15 watt tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbee when it comes to tube amps. So it will be an edcor 15watt 8k primary then since it is the lowest priced i can find. Thank you so much.

It is going to be a replacement OT. I got the amp used for a cheap $75 and the original owner said it was intermittently loosing volume. When i got it it was not intermittent anymore but less volume and less fuller sound than my 5 watt el84 amp.

I already replaced all tubes and reheated almost all solder joints but the problem still exist. I tested the OT with an ohmeter in the primary and it reads 120ohms on the right side of the center tap and 145ohms on the left side. Isn't it supposed to be equal since it is a center tap?

I aslo googled and found out about the AC test to figure the pri/sec ratio but i only have a DC power supply.

I tested the OT with an ohmeter in the primary and it reads 120ohms on the right side of the center tap and 145ohms on the left side. Isn't it supposed to be equal since it is a center tap?

That's close enough (about 15%), especially when it's measured in the circuit.

Have you checked the electrolytics?
It's the most common cause, after bad tubes.

Definately re-cap PS caps at least. I have done many a guitar amp with just PS lytic change & that is all it took to make em sing. It is highly doughtfull your OT is bad. What amp did you get if I may ask. My favorite of all my amps is a lowely Airline of 6v6 SE that does no wrong is is truely special. I paid 20.00 for it & recapped it with extremely generic lytics & bam she came alive..& does things my Soldano can't. Good luck on venture.
J & G

I did not suspect the electrolytics at first because the original owner purchased it new only 3 years ago. It is a Crate palomino v16 the one that comes in peach tolex with gold trimming.

I might as well replace all electrolytics since it doesnt cost too much to do.

JandG, re-cap PS meaning power supply caps? By the way, a 20.00 tube amp thats such a good find!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.