• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fostex Meets Pentode I need some NFB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you mean a resistor in series with the driver?

The resistors, capacitors and inductors are all in parallel with the driver. Check this article
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/cs-amps-speakers.pdf

I've used similar circuits to drive a full-rangers using Pentode output stages without NFB. It tames the impedance variation of the driver, but it doesn't have to be flattened completely, which is where the benefits come it.

Jeb-D. said:

The resistors, capacitors and inductors are all in parallel with the driver.

In such case with a voltage amp (very low output resistance) the single effect of them is increase of power losses.

Nelson means in the article exactly what I said: you may use such an approach with "voltage amplifiers", but R0 how he calls it should be in series with the load.

I've used similar circuits to drive a full-range using Pentode output stages without NFB. It tames the impedance variation of the driver, but you don't have to flatten it completely, which is where the benefits come it.

A 31 - band graphics EQ is your friend. :)

In such case with a voltage amp (very low output resistance) the single effect of them is increase of power losses.

That is true. At some frequencies there will be an increase in loss, but power dissipation will be more consistent throughout the frequency range.

Nelson means in the article exactly what I said: you may use such an approach with "voltage amplifiers", but R0 how he calls it should be in series with the load.

Sorry I didn't totally understand your statement at the time. Of course the principal can be adapted to "voltage amplifiers", but both frequency response and impulse response(which will differ with source impedance) must be considered. The point of my posts is that a Pentode can be used to drive a pair of full rangers (really well) without NFB. Not that I'm against NFB, many of my designs use it.

I think the "Pentodes have bad sonics" rap is purely from mis-application. A Pentode amp would probably do really well with Magnepan speakers as well. They have a near flat impedance and require a lot of power!

A 31 - band graphics EQ is your friend.

I've never got to play with a good one, but I bet that is true.

Jeb-D. said:

I think the "Pentodes have bad sonics" rap is purely from mis-application. A Pentode amp would probably do really well with Magnepan speakers as well. They have a near flat impedance and require a lot of power!

I've never used pentodes without feedback: I believe that both extremes cause most distorted power amplification.

By the way, solid state amps (except probably designed by John Curl) with resistors added in series with speakers sound much better than without them.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
alexmoose said:
two identical drivers in series (FE127) with a capacitor in between them to shunt high frequencies to ground, this way, all of the high frequencies goes into the front driver, while the baffle step correcting low frequencies get spit out both drivers.

To get the front driver only to produce highs the cap has to be across the rear driver's terminals... if the cap is in series with both drivers, you are just rolling off the bass.

dave

Applying cathode feedback (putting the cathode bypass cap to Speaker terminal in stead of ground) gave me ~7.8 db of NFB, I think I am going to try and reduce that to ~3db with a capacitive voltage divider. However Preliminary listening is disappointing, It sounds Kinda like a bad "Sand" amp, distortion is defiantly characteristic of Negative feedback being present. I am going to try a voltage divider to bring that feedback down, but It looks like Zobel is going to be the answer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.