• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Oddball Sweep tubes in PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When using oddball sweep tubes for PP close matching is obviously out of the question most of the time. Is it therefor advisable to use fixed or combination bias for the purpose of adjusting current balance?

Also most have pretty low screen voltage ratings so I presume that UL and triode mode are not often used. So that leaves pentode (with good screen regulation) or screen drive. So what is a good link for a "Screen drive for dummies" type write up?

mike

There isn't much screen drive stuff on my web site currently. I have a schematic for a 80 watt P-P amp using 6AV5's, but I never developed it into a complete amp. Pictures of the prototype are on the web site on the 6AV5 testing page. I did experiment with a big amp using 6LW6's and screen drive, but never made it work right. I discovered that the 275 volt screen rating can be ignored so I proceeded to wire up a triode PPP amp using 4X 6LW6's. I had the B+ up to the limit of my power supply which is 550 volts. I had similar issues making it work right. I got sa pair of surplus Plitron toroid OPT's that are rated for 400 watts at 20 Hz. I have discovered that they are very sensitive to current imbalance. The DC offset at idle needs to be under 10 mA. I believe that DC shifts caused by mismatched tubes may be causing distortion at high power levels. I have not had time to work on any of this stuff lately.

Attachments

• screendriveamp800_b.jpg
    screendriveamp800_b.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 453
mashaffer said:
When using oddball sweep tubes for PP close matching is obviously out of the question most of the time. Is it therefor advisable to use fixed or combination bias for the purpose of adjusting current balance?

I always use fixed bias. It gives better performance. In using these sweep tubes, I've found that the balance isn't all that far off anyway.

Also most have pretty low screen voltage ratings so I presume that UL and triode mode are not often used. So that leaves pentode (with good screen regulation) or screen drive. So what is a good link for a "Screen drive for dummies" type write up?

Le Renard Main Schemo

Screen Regulator

Main PS

Re: Re: Oddball sweep tubes in PP.

HollowState said:

Ah-ha, you've discovered one of my secret output tubes. DuKane amplifiers also used them.

Victor

Are you using them for HiFi or guitar amp duty?

I found a Dukane 1A475 schem. that uses 4 x 6CD6GA's. Seems there is interest in these PA amps for conversion to guitar. With 75 watts, I can understand why.

Jeff

tubelab.com said:
There isn't much screen drive stuff on my web site currently. I have a schematic for a 80 watt P-P amp using 6AV5's, but I never developed it into a complete amp. Pictures of the prototype are on the web site on the 6AV5 testing page. I did experiment with a big amp using 6LW6's and screen drive, but never made it work right. I discovered that the 275 volt screen rating can be ignored so I proceeded to wire up a triode PPP amp using 4X 6LW6's. I had the B+ up to the limit of my power supply which is 550 volts. I had similar issues making it work right. I got sa pair of surplus Plitron toroid OPT's that are rated for 400 watts at 20 Hz. I have discovered that they are very sensitive to current imbalance. The DC offset at idle needs to be under 10 mA. I believe that DC shifts caused by mismatched tubes may be causing distortion at high power levels. I have not had time to work on any of this stuff lately.

If I recall correctly, the B+ was 550V on that screen drive 6AV5 amp. What voltages did you end up using for the screen grid and grid bias supplies? Only asking because no values are given in your schematic. Thanks.

Rgs, JLH

hi Mike.

John Broskie recently put an article on Tubecad Journal about a technique developed by Alan Blunheim that keeps the idle current through push pull tubes perfectly matched. It uses cathode bias and cross coupling resistors. the only downside is you need to increase the B+ voltage by the amount of the desired grid bias. It is called the garter circuit. Check it out.

Rolf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.