• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are 6GM8's rare?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I'm considering building an Aikido line stage p2p and as it's my first tube project, I thought the 24V version sounded.....safer. ;)

My question is - are tube vendors running out of 6GM8's?

Has anyone bought any recently?

No worries; if it's too difficult I'll just try using more 'standard' tubes at HV.

Cheers

Stuey

The tubecad article on a 24V Aikido seems to have driven up prices and made people run low on supplies. It used to be a cheap valve but I have heard it recently going for higher prices than the ECC88 family.
If you can manage to raise the supply voltage to 100V you should get good results from a ECC88

Shoog

They have become a bit more scarce - again the popular tubecad articles and the headphone amp variant has reulted in increased demand. I bought the last stock that radiodaze had - I ordered 8 but he only had 7 to send me. They do come up all the time on ebay but tend to be a bit more expensive.

I must try some of those russian equivalents - and ECC83 and even some 5751 which is a ECC 83 equivalent. It would be interesting to try.

FWIW, the 6GM8 in aikido sounds great.

Fran

Well I found some, and they cost me $10 each. Knowing the old prices of $4, and $5 it kinda sucked, but For what I am building it was worth it too me. If you guys get stuck, and can't find any cheaper let me know, and I may be able to part with a few. Also if anyone has found some cheaper I wouldn't mind getting some extra's.
Ben

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.