• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are 6GM8's rare?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure what manufacturers they have on hand you will have to check. Most were made in holland by amperex and labeled G.E. and several others, telefunken made some and Upscale audio have Valvo types but these are more expensive. The amperex types are very clean and open sounding. The Teleunken are bit more lush sounding while Valvo is in between the Tele and the amperex.

That is subjective...I have not subbed in 6922s into my Aikido but I really do like the sound of the 6gm8.

We recently had a preamp shootout and only the Manley Shrimp bested the Aikido and that was by a very narrow margin with the Aikido actually getting the nod on detail...it was just sort of bright in the guy's system. I don't have that problem at home with it though.

nixiestore is looking for $90 incl shipping for 4. Almost twice the price of 4 6GM8 I bought last night. Don;t think I can justify paying that much for what will be 4 spare tubes when I already now have 16 spares along with the 8 I have in the 2 aikidos. If i thought it was a clear improvement over the 6GM8 I would be tempted to sell 4 of my current spares to get the 6N27P.

I await your listening with interest. Could you tell us how your aikido is set up/power supply/caps etc and what other equipment are you using?

Fran

Thanks for that. I am glad to hear that the 6N27P are working well - don't forget to update us on how they sound after more detailed listening!

I continue to marvel at how good the 24V aikido sounds. It really is top notch..... and so easy to build! Its a real winner. Add to that the fact that it both a full funciton preamp and a fine headphone amp, makes it a great choice for a wide audience.

Pity the 6GM8 are so rare. I wonder if there isn;t a russian seller of the tubes at a lower rate than nixietube. Usually the russian tubes are pretty good and are normally very reasonable.

Fran

I have been using them all for a while now...I switched to 6n27p for all tubes after I got my second set.

I have to say I like them but if there are differences they are pretty subtle...it seems that the 6gm8 is one of those tubes that sounds pretty close no matter the brand.

Even a Siemens a-frame didnt change the sound...I only have one but I could not hear a difference between the channels.

:)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sorry to rain on the parade but the ECC86 never impressed me much.
In my book the ECC88 is the better valve being more linear and lower noise even at a lowish 24V B+.
Such a low B+ also begs for an anode loaded CCS which of course voids the Aikido topology but would be a better choice IMHO anyways as it appears to me that this circuit is just for showing off anyhow.

So, that saved the ECC86 from going into total unobtainium....

Ciao, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.