Tube equal to one section of a 12AX7? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Pyre is offline Pyre  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Pyre
Question Tube equal to one section of a 12AX7?

Is there a 9 pin tube that is equal or very close to one section of a 12AX7?

Thanks
Old 9th June 2008, 03:57 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Why not just use half the tube?

There's a 7 pin single section equivalent with a 6V heater, the 6AV6.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Sy,

Thanks for the info. What I am doing is rebuilding a couple of mono PAM-1 preamps but using the Norman Koren “Spiced” PAS schematic. Each channel uses three 12AX7 half sections. I could use 12AX7’s of course but I was hoping for a lower cost half section equivalent.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:12 PM   #4
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

~ 6AQ4 (EC91)
Old 9th June 2008, 04:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Lower cost? I think it will be more expensive. You're limited to NOS and need twice as many.

High quality 12AX7s are pretty inexpensive. JJ is under $10 brand new.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes JJ's cost me about 12 bucks each here plus shipping.

I was hoping that there was something in my stash that was equivalent. When I get home I will check if I have any 6AV6's. I do know that I only have two spare 7 pin sockets.

is there any issue with using both sections of one 12AX7 and half of the second one?
Old 9th June 2008, 04:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Nope, no issue, and you might even be able to use that last section to improve the design a bit.

One interesting trick is to only power the heater of one section (i.e., 6V between pin 9 and pin 4 or between pin 9 and pin 5). That prevents the cathode of the unused section from being poisoned, and when the first section wears out, you rewire to use the second section.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

why not use 3 12AX7s? One on each channoel to provide two triodes per channel, and the third to provide a third triode per channel. Crosstalk should be low, despite the sharing.

James

EDIt - I i'm wrong, feel free to shoot me down in flames...
Old 9th June 2008, 04:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

One interesting trick is to only power the heater of one section (i.e., 6V between pin 9 and pin 4 or between pin 9 and pin 5). That prevents the cathode of the unused section from being poisoned, and when the first section wears out, you rewire to use the second section.

Thats a great Idea. I have both 6.3v and 12.6v available so it should not be a problem.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

James, for a PAS mod, that works perfectly well. But he's using the PAMs, which are separate mono.

Hide this!Advertise here!