• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube equal to one section of a 12AX7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Sy,

Thanks for the info. What I am doing is rebuilding a couple of mono PAM-1 preamps but using the Norman Koren “Spiced” PAS schematic. Each channel uses three 12AX7 half sections. I could use 12AX7’s of course but I was hoping for a lower cost half section equivalent.

Yes JJ's cost me about 12 bucks each here plus shipping.

I was hoping that there was something in my stash that was equivalent. When I get home I will check if I have any 6AV6's. I do know that I only have two spare 7 pin sockets.

is there any issue with using both sections of one 12AX7 and half of the second one?

Nope, no issue, and you might even be able to use that last section to improve the design a bit.

One interesting trick is to only power the heater of one section (i.e., 6V between pin 9 and pin 4 or between pin 9 and pin 5). That prevents the cathode of the unused section from being poisoned, and when the first section wears out, you rewire to use the second section.

SY said:

One interesting trick is to only power the heater of one section (i.e., 6V between pin 9 and pin 4 or between pin 9 and pin 5). That prevents the cathode of the unused section from being poisoned, and when the first section wears out, you rewire to use the second section.

Thats a great Idea. I have both 6.3v and 12.6v available so it should not be a problem.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Stormrider said:
I thought the 6C4/EC90 was half a 12AX7. Not going to be much cheaper than just using a 12AX7 though...

Sy's right, for audio applications the EC90/6C4 single triode is equivalent to a single section of a 12AU7. (Besides audio applications the 6C4 was commonly used in HF/VHF oscillators which was not a recommended use for the 12AU7, implying some other slight differences in internal construction.)

For convenience sake I would just stick to 12AX7A and wire the added sockets in each PAM so that the opposite triode is used, that way at tube replacement time you can just swap and save on purchasing two new tubes.

dsavitsk said:

NOS 6AV6 is on sale at AES for $2.48 right now. They are $3 at RES, and $3 at the tube center.

Wow thanks! Now thats a reasonable price. I am going to go check them out.

audiowize said:
The 6D10 and 6C10 are compactrons with three triodes per tube, each equivalent to a 12AX7. Compactron sockets are also available/cheap now.
-Paul

Interesting. The whole thing could be done in one tube. Do you think there would be any problem with doing all 3 sections in one tube?

Interesting. The whole thing could be done in one tube. Do you think there would be any problem with doing all 3 sections in one tube? [/B][/QUOTE]

Likely not. You need 3 halves per channel, so you can isolate each channel into one tube. If you have some direct coupling/cathode followers and you need two different heater supplies, that's the only issue I can find. Also, 6C10's and 6D10's can be a little expensive here and there, but I bet you can find some pretty cheap pretty easily.

audiowize said:
The 6D10 and 6C10 are compactrons with three triodes per tube, each equivalent to a 12AX7. Compactron sockets are also available/cheap now.
-Paul

AES does not have any 6D10's but they have 6C10's but says they are a delay relay.

6C10 - DELAY-RELAY, AMPERITE
• 6.3 volt heater
• Normally closed contacts
• 10 second delay
• Standard 8 pin octal base

Six 6AV6's with sockets ring in at just over 22 bucks. Thats well within my price range :smash: SOLD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.