• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6CL6 vs. 12BY7A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a perverse yen to do an amp project with a pentode first stage, and was thinking of one of these two (it helps that I also have both). I also thought of the 12HG7, but the transconductance is too much for what I have in mind. Any comments regarding linearity, etc., or alternate tubes?.

wrenchone said:
I have a perverse yen to do an amp project with a pentode first stage, and was thinking of one of these two (it helps that I also have both). I also thought of the 12HG7, but the transconductance is too much for what I have in mind. Any comments regarding linearity, etc., or alternate tubes?.

I believe the 12BY7A has a controlled warm-up filament, and is reputed to be slightly quieter than the 6CL6. The 6CL6 however seems more readily available, and most tests show that these tubes are nearly equivalent in use, running at similar operating points. Both are capable of swinging gigantic voltage at low distortion. User Boris_the_Blade has done some extensive 6CL6 differential amp tests, and uses them as a driver for a PPP EL34 amp. You can also find some pentode comparisons on Pete Millett's site (Pentodes).

Personally, I'd use whichever I had more of at the time :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had a Citation II which used 12BY7A pentodes in the input and driver stages, not sure that the 6CL6 differs significantly, but I had a lot of problems with microphonic 12BY7A particularly in the first stage. Either way you should probably plan on getting few extras so you can select the least microphonic ones for use.

The "best" 12BY7s in a "Duece" are RCA in the voltage gain positions and GE JAN in the splitter positions. Set up a "12" V. heater supply and RCA 7054s enter the picture.

Remember, the Cit. 2 has well over 30 dB. of NFB in 3 nested loops. The outer, global, loop applies only a few dB. Stu Hegeman leveraged bandwidth throughout the design to make the "gobs" of NFB work well.

Eli Duttman said:
The "best" 12BY7s in a "Duece" are RCA in the voltage gain positions and GE JAN in the splitter positions. Set up a "12" V. heater supply and RCA 7054s enter the picture.

Have you determined this by measurement, or by listening? The reason I ask is, after much experimentation, I agree 100% on a "sonic" basis. Another good trick is a 12BV7 for the first stage, which has slightly higher transconductance and gives you a touch of extra global-NFB -- I use some early ones with the smoked glass that look sweet in that position. :D

wrenchone said:
Any comments regarding linearity, etc., or alternate tubes?.

You can check it out at Frank's: 12BY7A. A good loadline for the 12BY7A is going to require a rather stiff plate current, and lotsavolts. Of course, this being designed as a vid amp for colour TVs, it needed enough current sourcing to avoid slewing at a 4.0MHz top end, and high voltage is easy to come by in a colour TV set. I've got a few of 'em, but so far, I haven't needed that much gain. It could be one of those types that're gonna be hard to come by since lots of ham rigs used these as RF drivers.

Eli Duttman said:
The "best" 12BY7s in a "Duece" are RCA in the voltage gain positions and GE JAN in the splitter positions. .

I tend to agree with Eli since I've used them all. (well almost all) These are the best I've ever found. They're curve tracer matched and selected by Tek. If you ever find any, they're well worth the price for the diff. pair.

Victor

Attachments

• tek 12by7s.jpg
    tek 12by7s.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 906
What I'm probably going to use first off after some thought is a 6AH6 in full pentode mode driving a source follower, which in turn will drive an enhanced triode (screen drive) mode sweep tube. The 6AH6 has almost as much transconductance as the 6CL6 and 12BY7 and doesn't require as much plate current to get the benefit of its goodness. Cheap and plentiful, too. Comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.