• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12el6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys
So i was getting set up to build my 12V preamp with the 12EL6 tube.. In a first for me I find that there isno pinout for the heaters. Can I assume it doesnt use them and secondly if I set this up in srpp that would mean that heater Volatge for the lower tube would be 6 V and therefore the tube wont emit (the data sheet states heater voltas from 10 to 15V)..
So how does the 12EL6 work then?
thanks

Hey I figured it out

Great.. a public dumb moment!!
Indeed the tube has heater connections pins 3 and 4 to be exact. On the pinout 3 and 4 had an "x" as opposed to a number and of course the heaters had an "x" as well.
X does not always mean "no Connection"
Ok Ok back to recitals of Morgan Jones
Nick

Examine the data sheet carefully. The type is a 7 pin mini, with the "routine" pins 3 and 4 for the heater.

If you are going to set up SRPPs using 12EL6s, use separate, floating, heater windings for the lower and upper tubes. That way, you don't have to worry about exceeding heater to cathode insulation capability.

Given that the 12EL6 was originally intended for automotive service, you may find it necessary to use DC on the heaters, to obtain a satisfactory residual hum level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.