• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Firestone Air Chief

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I inherited a Firestone Air Chief radio from my father. It's a wood radio with a speaker on the left and what appears to be five different bands that it can tune to on a glass panel on the right.

I'm curious if this is worth anything as-is, or if it's okay to gut it for the massive tube mono-block that is inside.

Untested as of right now, but the wooden case looks nice.

Charles.

Firestone sold radios in their tire stores, made by several manufacturers. The amp is nothing special, I'm sure. The radio is not a highly sought-after brand, but if it's a higher-end model (sounds like it) it may have some value to a collector. The mid-to-late '30s was the high point in radio design (both style and electronics) from my point of view, and I'd like to keep one like this original. If you have a model number, I can probably point you to service information online. If there's no label inside the cabinet or on the chassis, a list of the tube numbers may be enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.