• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12 EL6 car preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys
I scored a bunch of 12 EL6 Hi Mu triodes. These Tubes also have a double diode.
I was just going to set them up as Srpp for my Kart Trailer preamp feeding solid state power amp. I was wondering if I could put the diode(s) section to use on this tube.
Thanks
Hope you are all well
regards
Nick

Look at the 12EL6 data sheet. The diodes share a single cathode with the triode and they are limited to 1 mA. each. IMO, the best thing you can do with the diodes is ground them.

To use the diodes as some sort of rectifier requires that the triode be grid leak biased. :( Grid leak bias works only at low signal levels, like those found in phono preamps and as the 1st audio stage in an AM receiver.

BTW, assume stage gain is 25 (quite reasonable) and combine that with triodes being able to swing approx. 1/2 of the anode voltage (max. 30) yields a pretty small max. I/P signal and about a 7 VRMS max O/P signal. To get anything resembling appreciable power into 4 Ohm automotive speakers mandates that addititional SS voltage gain follow the 12EL6.

have built a ss power stage

Hi There
I thought long and hard about a tube power stage but in the end decided to build a 15 watt stereo ss philips based chipamp which runs off 12 volts as its supply. I figure the tube front end will help in that civilised sound i am after. The power amp will take a signal directly from a cd player so I figure 2 Volts output would be acceptable for the volumes I will be running this at.
Will let you know how i go
Thanks for the good advice on the diodes
Nick

See earlier post "SE Diode" combine vacuum diodes with sand
to emulate a power triode with "theoretically perfect" parallel
curves. Of course, all this is complicated by the fact that they
share the common Cathode with your real Triode.

If the real Triode was your pre-amp, perhaps this modulation
of the shared Cathode by the output circuit could be abused
as some sort of linearizing negative feedback???

Another possibility might be a differential amp, balancing Triode
against Sandblasted Vacuum Diode...

Either way, its not going to be easy to put those to some kind
of relevant abuse without a whole bunch of supporting parts....

Nutcase as I am, even I can't imagine it worth the hassle to
do so. Unless you just got a theory to prove, er something...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.