• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

No Mistaking A Triode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

G

Joined 2002
Hi all'

I just got finished changing my amp to pentode mode and back. When in pentode mode it sounded like any SS amp that you can get at Circuit City or Best Buy. No Magic. No soul. Triode is the only way to fly. Now if only I could get someone to give me a set of Altec V.O.C.;)

G

No argument at all here, and properly implemented DHTs are even better.
Lucky for me, I already have the horns. And the tubes.

If you can make it, you should stop in to the Midwest Audio Fest next month if you love tubes and horns. I'm going to try to make it next year.

I finished a little breadboard amp today. PP EL84 triode class A no NFB driven by a diff 6H30 using leftover parts from the junkbox and a pair of Z565 Dyna OPTs I was given by a kind soul. Sounds amazing for what it is, gives 3-4W and with some minor tweaking might be a keeper as my 'day' amp. I have a PP IT 300B under construction too.

Here's an article you might fing interesting.

Cheers

Brett said:
properly implemented DHTs are even better.
Why would IHT's sound better? Or is it that the only ones available are particularly good sounding? Technically at least, I would have thought that an indirectly heated triode would have sounded better courtesy of the whole of the cathode surface being at the same potential. But the fact is I have never critically compared the two. Can anyone edify me please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.