• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Differences between nos Tesla E88CC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

A friend asked me what is the difference between nos Tesla E88CC, gold and nickel pin.
I'm not sure what would be the difference, but someone told me Tesla's gold pin E88CC is longer life compared to nickel pin version.
Can someone please confirm this and maybe explain a bit more?
I need some of this tubes for me too, so it's important that i know what to buy. Btw, nickel pin version costs 6 euros, gold pin is 10 euros..

Miha

Miha,

I don't have any Tesla tubes at hand, but I have seen only gold pin E88CC and nickel (or rhodium or whatever) pin ECC88. The E88CC is industrial or S.Q. (special quality), lower noise and tolerates higher g (acceleration, shock). The catalogues do not mention but I think the gold pin must give more reliable contact hence lower contact noise. But I have read somewhere that gold on gold is not a good combination (gold pins in gold sockets). I don't know if it is true.

Laszlo

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have Tesla white printing steel (nickel?) pin, white printing gold pin, yellow printing gold pin, yellow printing gold pin tubes with cross sword logo.

The best of the best is yellow printing (cross swords logo) gold pin tubes, with factory code "32" (made for the czechslovak Post), but eBay (matched pair) price 80-100 USD!!

Thanks for the replys. I ordered one of those with yellow printing, gold pin and factory number 32 Tesla E88CC, one nickel pin E88CC with white printing, two different 6N1P and 6N23P. But guy forgot to send 6N23P which is supposed to be a real replacement for E88CC, so i hope i will get good results from 6N1P.
I will also get some Tesla EF806s with white printing and factory code 32. Tome they look exactly like some newer Telefunkens, if anyone knows more about them please let me know. Guy also sent one RFT EF86 for testing. He said it is low noise.
This tubes are for mic preamp, that's why i ordered more to get some that are low noise.

Btw, i'm listening music on passive studio monitors which can be a bit anoying at times. So i tried brother's ECC82 based cathode follower line stage, and got really really nice result. Sound became much more musical, sweet and i got even more details. But the problem was soundstage; if i listen without the preamp stereo "picture" is much wider, instruments have better separation and there is a bit more definition in highs. But musicality with preamp makes me wonder if i could find another schematic and make myself better preamp.
I found this schemaitc floating around:
http://diyparadise.com/simplepreamp.html
It's AN's M7 line stage, very known design and many people seem to like it. Anyone of you have experiences with it?
What i want from preamp is musicality like from brother's, but with better separation and stereo image. I also found some Aikido designs, i don't know what to use...
Making M7 line stage would be very cheap because i can use 6N6 instead 5687, i can get choke for free, it's simple etc.
Can anyone please helpme decide? I can make this preamp without any problems but i'm not sure if it's what i want.

Miha

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have some NOS (70's) soviet 6N1P, 6N23P (military versions -EV ), but for me these tubes (as phono pre tube) are "make" tipical hifi sound.

At higher level amplifier (DAC output) 6N23P-EV good tube, better than ECG 6DJ8, stock 6922's, but not better than Tungsram E88CC (red print), or Tesla E88CC (yellow, sword). These tubes are million miles (for example) from NOS Telefunken E88CC, or Siemens CCa.

EF86/EF806: these medium high gm pentodes are good tubes, but some of them are noisy. If you like pentode, try E180F, D3A, or best of: E810F.

Line stage.
For better imaging and separation try better tube, like 12B4A (old medium power triode).
http://www.triode-systems.com/?q=node/3

Hi,
thanks for telling me about alternatve tubes. At curent prices of good nos tubes it looks like i will need them very soon.
About the line amp:
12B4A is american tube and not every tube dealer have it. That's why i would like to use what is easy to get and will be available in the future.
Is there any dual triode replacement for 12B4A? I don't mind leaving one triode unused if this gives me better sound.
And why you suggested 12B4A preamp instead of M7 with 5687? Does it really sound so much better? At times i have feeling that choice of tubes is more related to fashion than to opinons based on real listenings...

Miha

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.