Red Army Power-amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2008, 03:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Red Army Power-amp

For a while now I've been toying with the idea of building a valve power amp using surplus Russian military components throughout.

I have four main reasons for wanting to do this:

1. Russian military capacitors, resistors and valves are readily available on ebay. Many of these components are superb quality and cost peanuts.

2. I like the idea of building an amp using components designed to last. If possible I'd be keen to avoid electrolytics entirely - I have already acquired four 100uF 1000V PIO caps for psu duties.

3. Using surplus components designed for use in war machines to produce beautiful music makes me smile :-)

4. I need a new power amp...

I have never built a valve power amp so I'll need some help with the design. I've built valve preamps and plenty of sand amps so I'm confident I can bring the creature to life once I have a good design. I'd like 10-20Wpc.

What Russian valves would be worth considering?

Any help would be much appreciated :-)
Old 27th May 2008, 07:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Single ended or push pull?

I would defiantly go for the GM-70 as a power tube. You can find lots more info and many schematics at the GM70 Boatanchors Amp Club on yahoo groups. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GM70

The only thing is the transformers will be expensive. To make a good gm-70 amp you will need input transformers and interstage transformers too. All this will be heavy so you need to make monoblocks, so you need two power transformers, more chokes, etc.
Old 27th May 2008, 07:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
In another thread there's a question concerning GU50's. That's a very good tube and if Push-Pulled it can give 50-60W. Throw in some 6SN7 and 6SL7 - Russian made that is.
Old 28th May 2008, 12:49 PM   #4
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I built a push-pull with G-807 tubes in triode mode, driven by cathode followers, that are driven by a long-tailed pair (3 x ECC88, but 6N23P should be also OK). The two coupling capacitors per channel are Russian teflon FT-3 220nF/400V. The resistors (4 pieces per channel) are Mills, though. There is no global feedback and I get 10W @ 1% THD.
Old 28th May 2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Klimon is offline Klimon  Belgium
diyAudio Member

My vote goes to 6as7 push-pull; simple and suits your wattage needs.

btw: Where are you going to get Russian output transformers?

Simon
Old 28th May 2008, 04:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Russkie vykhodnie transformatori kupetsa ... Russian output transformers are bought here:

Golden Middle

Calculate shipping and import taxes.
Old 28th May 2008, 04:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here is another cold war amp complete with hammer & sickle

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/ma...ages/7815.html

It uses all Russian tubes, Russian signal coupling caps, and the beautiful 20 uf 400v Russian bathtub power supply filter caps. Audio tranneys were made by us (MagneQuest) in the US

I think you'll enjoy the pictures of the amp.

MSL
Old 28th May 2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MQracing
Here is another cold war amp complete with hammer & sickle

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/ma...ages/7815.html

It uses all Russian tubes, Russian signal coupling caps, and the beautiful 20 uf 400v Russian bathtub power supply filter caps. Audio tranneys were made by us (MagneQuest) in the US

I think you'll enjoy the pictures of the amp.

MSL
Thats GROOVY!!!!!!
Old 28th May 2008, 05:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

No its not ... The emblem is too indiscrete....

If you are lokking for a non-DIY amp you should look for a Priboy. I have one that I unfortunately have modified but I plan to either throw in some GU50's or 6S36P (EL500) and get back some of the 60W it was originally made for.

PS. I like the hammer and sickle, but I could even consider a small emblem made of Lenin in profile.
Old 28th May 2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by soundbrigade
PS. I like the hammer and sickle, but I could even consider a small emblem made of Lenin in profile.

No, Lenin wasn't around. Stalin was Cold War. So CCCP in a red star and Stalin's face I prefer.

Also the burn in will use ONLY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLi_m656tQQ in repeat.

Hide this!Advertise here!