Hybrid Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2008, 03:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to alpine67
Default Hybrid Amp

Hi - I'm a newby here and am excited that I found this site - excellent material and help!!!

I posted a reply under chip amps that also poses a question and wonder if it would better be posted under this subject since it really involves tubes.

My question relates to a build it project in the January 2008 audioXpress magazine. It is the Hybrid Hi-Fi Power Amp by Bill Christie.

When I reviewed the schematics for this design, I noticed that several components did not match up with the parts list or photos. For instance, there are two 820uF caps in the power supply that are listed in the parts list and are shown in the photos, but the schematic showns four 80uf caps. Also, there is a xformer on the schematics not present in the parts list or photos.

Has anyone built this amp yet and encountered any problems? I don't subscribe to audioXpress (yet) so I don't know if there has been any corrections printed.

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 26th May 2008, 10:47 AM   #2
hoka is offline hoka  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

link to the article?

schematics?

I can't find anything
Old 26th May 2008, 03:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hoka:

As best I can tell, this article is not available on-line, but the PC board with component layout and chassis wiring diagram is. Here's the link:

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...enda/index.htm

Scroll down the page and you'll see the name of the article and the two figures beside that.

1/08 - A Hybrid High-Fidelity Power Amplifier - Bill Christie

The wiring diagram shows the different components as I mentioned that do not match the parts list, schematics or photos.

I may be able to scan the schematics and post them if that would help (although that may be a copyright issue that I wouldn't want to violate)!

Thanks for your help!
George
Old 26th May 2008, 04:01 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Probably best not to do that. You could scan an excerpt from the schematic, the small section in question for the purpose of clarification. But the first thing I'd do is write the author.
Old 26th May 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

SY:

My first attempt at getting some clarification had been to search for Bill Christie and then contact audioXpress, but 1) I could not find an address for Mr. Christie and 2) audioXpress has not replied....

So... I figured I'd try this group to see if anyone had built the amp.

Thanks
George
Old 26th May 2008, 05:10 PM   #6
isaacc7 is offline isaacc7  United States
diyAudio Member

Is it the one that Broskie recently discussed over at Tubecad?

John's article here.

Isaac
Old 26th May 2008, 05:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nope - the one I'm looking at uses a LM4702 front end and two KT88's and was published in the January 2008 issue.
Old 28th May 2008, 01:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Maybe I should try this a different way - does anyone know how to get in touch with Bill Christie?

Hide this!Advertise here!