What's this? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2003, 09:08 PM   #1
JDeV is offline JDeV  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Question What's this?

Hey all
Do any of you recoqnise this amp? It uses a ECC33, 2 x 6V6 and a 5Y3. I got it for $5 today and really only needs the tubes - not like my Mullard 5-20 deal
I noticed it got 2 x OT's that must be some how combined to give 3,6,15,30 ohms Z combination and is thinking that I might use these OT's for my Mullard, if they are the correct ratio and wattage of course.

Thanx for all help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp1.jpg (42.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 12th March 2003, 10:07 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: What's this?

Quote:
Originally posted by JDeV
Do any of you recoqnise this amp? It uses a ECC33, 2 x 6V6 and a 5Y3. I got it for $5 today and really only needs the tubes - not like my Mullard 5-20 deal
I noticed it got 2 x OT's that must be some how combined to give 3,6,15,30 ohms Z combination and is thinking that I might use these OT's for my Mullard, if they are the correct ratio and wattage of course.
It could be a stereo SE 6V6 amp or one of the OPTs could be a choke and it could be a PP 6V6 amp.

dave
Old 13th March 2003, 12:00 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It's mono
Old 13th March 2003, 12:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jdev,

How about getting a replacement transformer for your Mullard5-20

http://www.vvttransformers.co.uk/output_tx.htm

Cheers,
Bas
Old 13th March 2003, 12:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What's this?

Quote:

Is it worth flying out to South Africa to search for all these bargains you seem to be picking up?!

Probably one pp output transformer and a choke - from a picture is doesn't look like a SE stereo amp. Unfortunately, I doubt whether you could use the output tranny from this amp in one of your Mullards. Although the primary impedence of the tranny (for 6V6s) would not cause a wild mismatch to your Mullard (El34s) it would not have the power handling capability - 6V6s typically draw less than half the HT of EL34s and so the amp would not be fitted with an output tranny with high power handling capability.
Old 13th March 2003, 01:01 PM   #6
JDeV is offline JDeV  South Africa
diyAudio Member

You were right, the 1 "OT" is the choke, it actually got another small choke as well. The power transformer is quit big and give out 450-0-450. Maybe I can use this as a commone supply to my Mullards which only got 320-0-320 at moment.

Thanx for the link , Bas. I actually found the correct OT's for my Mullards for about $35 each, from Indonesia, don't know their quality though - also Angela Intruments got some Hammonds 1645 on sale for $47 which I fancy more, just waiting on total shipping cost before I place order.
Old 13th March 2003, 02:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The power transformer is quit big and give out 450-0-450. Maybe I can use this as a commone supply to my Mullards which only got 320-0-320 at moment.

JDev,

From the picture the mains transformer looks like a substantial unit, but I very much doubt that a tranny rated for an amp supplying two 6V6s will be able to handle the requirements of the four EL34s in your Mullards....

Hide this!Advertise here!