• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What's this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all
Do any of you recoqnise this amp? It uses a ECC33, 2 x 6V6 and a 5Y3. I got it for $5 today and really only needs the tubes - not like my Mullard 5-20 deal :(
I noticed it got 2 x OT's that must be some how combined to give 3,6,15,30 ohms Z combination and is thinking that I might use these OT's for my Mullard, if they are the correct ratio and wattage of course.

Thanx for all help.

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 238
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JDeV said:
Do any of you recoqnise this amp? It uses a ECC33, 2 x 6V6 and a 5Y3. I got it for $5 today and really only needs the tubes - not like my Mullard 5-20 deal :(
I noticed it got 2 x OT's that must be some how combined to give 3,6,15,30 ohms Z combination and is thinking that I might use these OT's for my Mullard, if they are the correct ratio and wattage of course.

It could be a stereo SE 6V6 amp or one of the OPTs could be a choke and it could be a PP 6V6 amp.

dave

JDeV said:

Is it worth flying out to South Africa to search for all these bargains you seem to be picking up?!

Probably one pp output transformer and a choke - from a picture is doesn't look like a SE stereo amp. Unfortunately, I doubt whether you could use the output tranny from this amp in one of your Mullards. Although the primary impedence of the tranny (for 6V6s) would not cause a wild mismatch to your Mullard (El34s) it would not have the power handling capability - 6V6s typically draw less than half the HT of EL34s and so the amp would not be fitted with an output tranny with high power handling capability.

You were right, the 1 "OT" is the choke, it actually got another small choke as well. The power transformer is quit big and give out 450-0-450. Maybe I can use this as a commone supply to my Mullards which only got 320-0-320 at moment.

Thanx for the link , Bas. I actually found the correct OT's for my Mullards for about $35 each, from Indonesia, don't know their quality though - also Angela Intruments got some Hammonds 1645 on sale for $47 which I fancy more, just waiting on total shipping cost before I place order.

JDeV said:
The power transformer is quit big and give out 450-0-450. Maybe I can use this as a commone supply to my Mullards which only got 320-0-320 at moment.

JDev,

From the picture the mains transformer looks like a substantial unit, but I very much doubt that a tranny rated for an amp supplying two 6V6s will be able to handle the requirements of the four EL34s in your Mullards....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.