What Speakers Do Tube Lovers Used? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2003, 05:37 PM   #1
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default What Speakers Do Tube Lovers Used?

I wonder if some tube lovers really use in-efficient speakers/drivers like B&W or Scan-Speak.

I think the best approach is to direct feed the driver (full range) without crossover circuit (For 2-way, direct feed to the woofer may create an audible “overlapping” problem).

KEF Q35 is being under target, for it’s efficiency (90dB?) and fanatism with KEF. May be Klipschs are more efficient, but I don’t want to risk my money for this brand with its horn tweeter.

Lowther, for 104dB sensitivity (?), has been my target if I could find one. But I’m blind with the product types/lines. Anyone can inform me with these Lowther types (+- 6 inch)? Oh, I will use low wattage solid state for an amplifier.

Thanks.
Old 12th March 2003, 05:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Even though I use an A4 as amp me thinks that the setup I use will be a good candidate for tube amplification.

Fostex FE164 wide open (92 dB) plus Focal 8V416J (89dB) for bass with a second oder low pass at around 300Hz.

I had to pad down the FE164 about 6-7 dB on my setup because the woof is way down at floor level, in this way the overlap is almost not a problem

Of course the sensitivity of the bass is by no way ideal but you can find some nice 10" woofs that will do.

Sonicwise I'm very satisfied with this setup and eventualy will replace the bass speaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe164 006.jpg (62.2 KB, 1069 views)
Old 12th March 2003, 06:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Vintage Alnico German drivers. Any brand but particularly Isophon and Saba. High sensativity,controlled bass and sweet top end.

what more could you ask for in life!!

Shoog
Old 12th March 2003, 06:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Tony,

A4 is a Class-A bipolar, right? How many wattage? Is it a widely accepted method to cross the signal at such a low frequency (300Hz)? I guess this, together with padding down the midrange (I assume that you meant adding L-pad or resistance in series with the midrange) will sacrifice the mid frequencies to a non-acceptable degree.

Say we want to filter the higher frequency at 300Hz, what is the capacitance value you use? I think good caps are not feasible here (for the money), and bad caps may not be feasible either (for the sound quality). What do you think about direct feeding the Fostex and feed the woofer with may be 55Hz signal? Just consider the woofer as a bonus

Shoog,

Vintage Alnico, Isophon and Saba, these are new to my ears. And surely I won’t have an access to them without credit cards.
“High sensativity,controlled bass and sweet top end. what more could you ask for in life!!”. I’m asking for a credit card
Old 12th March 2003, 06:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Tony,

I’m not convinced with your Focal enclosure structure. 300Hz on low diameter woofer right above the floor with bass reflex enclosure on up side like that??? I don’t know if this is a properly designed enclosure, my sense of intuition, is that it won’t produce good sound.
Old 12th March 2003, 07:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The FE164 is a full range and will go down to some 70 Hz but is kind of week bellow say 150 Hz.

I may be even higher with the low pass filter I´m using 32uf with solen caps (polyprops) which are not very expensive and for a low pass (in shunt position) these are very good but of course I would not recomend these for a hi pass filter in series connection.

The enclousure of the bass speaker is a folded 1/4 wave TL (not bass reflex).

A4 is an Aleph 4 mosfet (Pass Labs design) and is a 100W class A, way overkill for the speakes that I can even drive whith an old Zen.

Padding down I meant adding series and shunt power resistors in a calculated way to mantain the original 8 Ohm impedance of the speaker as seen by the Amp.
Old 12th March 2003, 10:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You may not have a credit card, but its worth trawling the charity shops (if you have any) for old vintage german stereograms- many have excellent fullrange drivers and can be got for give away prices.

Shoog
Old 15th March 2003, 04:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Im using Lansing 4412s
Old 15th March 2003, 06:04 AM   #9
corbato is offline corbato  India
diyAudio Member

Using early 70's Sonodyne single driver bookshelf with my SE 6BQ5 amp.
Old 15th March 2003, 06:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Horns.

Hide this!Advertise here!