• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What Speakers Do Tube Lovers Used?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if some tube lovers really use in-efficient speakers/drivers like B&W or Scan-Speak.

I think the best approach is to direct feed the driver (full range) without crossover circuit (For 2-way, direct feed to the woofer may create an audible “overlapping” problem).

KEF Q35 is being under target, for it’s efficiency (90dB?) and fanatism with KEF. May be Klipschs are more efficient, but I don’t want to risk my money for this brand with its horn tweeter.

Lowther, for 104dB sensitivity (?), has been my target if I could find one. But I’m blind with the product types/lines. Anyone can inform me with these Lowther types (+- 6 inch)? Oh, I will use low wattage solid state for an amplifier.

Thanks.:)

Even though I use an A4 as amp me thinks that the setup I use will be a good candidate for tube amplification.

Fostex FE164 wide open (92 dB) plus Focal 8V416J (89dB) for bass with a second oder low pass at around 300Hz.

I had to pad down the FE164 about 6-7 dB on my setup because the woof is way down at floor level, in this way the overlap is almost not a problem

Of course the sensitivity of the bass is by no way ideal but you can find some nice 10" woofs that will do.

Sonicwise I'm very satisfied with this setup and eventualy will replace the bass speaker.

Attachments

• fe164 006.jpg
    fe164 006.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,105
Tony,

A4 is a Class-A bipolar, right? How many wattage? Is it a widely accepted method to cross the signal at such a low frequency (300Hz)? I guess this, together with padding down the midrange (I assume that you meant adding L-pad or resistance in series with the midrange) will sacrifice the mid frequencies to a non-acceptable degree.

Say we want to filter the higher frequency at 300Hz, what is the capacitance value you use? I think good caps are not feasible here (for the money), and bad caps may not be feasible either (for the sound quality). What do you think about direct feeding the Fostex and feed the woofer with may be 55Hz signal? Just consider the woofer as a bonus ;)

Shoog,

Vintage Alnico, Isophon and Saba, these are new to my ears. And surely I won’t have an access to them without credit cards.
“High sensativity,controlled bass and sweet top end. what more could you ask for in life!!”. I’m asking for a credit card ;)

Tony,

I’m not convinced with your Focal enclosure structure. 300Hz on low diameter woofer right above the floor with bass reflex enclosure on up side like that??? I don’t know if this is a properly designed enclosure, my sense of intuition, is that it won’t produce good sound. :cannotbe:

The FE164 is a full range and will go down to some 70 Hz but is kind of week bellow say 150 Hz.

I may be even higher with the low pass filter I´m using 32uf with solen caps (polyprops) which are not very expensive and for a low pass (in shunt position) these are very good but of course I would not recomend these for a hi pass filter in series connection.

The enclousure of the bass speaker is a folded 1/4 wave TL (not bass reflex).

A4 is an Aleph 4 mosfet (Pass Labs design) and is a 100W class A, way overkill for the speakes that I can even drive whith an old Zen.

Padding down I meant adding series and shunt power resistors in a calculated way to mantain the original 8 Ohm impedance of the speaker as seen by the Amp.

I use a pair of old B&W DM100i bookshelf speakers for my room, they are rated 89dB spl sensitivity. However, they are fine, even with a flea powered amp. They would go to very loud volumes even with my 2W 6BM8 tube amp. It is possible that their rating is a little conservative, and they are actually more sensitive.

I like their sound, they are quite forward in the treble though. However I like the crystal clarity they have. Eventually I too want to build a set of full-rangers, but I will need a bigger room!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DREAMSPEAKIES.

Hi,

Currently SD3 hybrid ribbon and dynamic speakers...they image like you never heard.

Dreamspeakers highly efficient open baffle system...if needed augmented by a dipole ribbon....this one I'll build myself again.

Cheers,;)

/Dreamin' out loud....:cool:

Currently DIY Electrostatic speakers with a sand state active crossover to keep the efficiency up so I can drive the panels with any of my many tube amplifers. You'll be hard pressed to find another ESL which can be driven by a push pull EL84 amp. The bass is a pair of seas excel woofer in a TL driven by a Pass Aleph 3 (an amazing amp and I'm not doing it justice only using it on the bass.

I also use a pair of Jordan JX-92's in a transmission line, and a pair of Quad ESL's. I am always building something and driving it with tubes.

Sheldon

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LS3/5A

Hi,

I drive a pair of LS3/5a (82dB/W?) from a 6W SET in my "office listening" system.

Man, do I love those little speakers.
At a Penta show, can't remember which one, they were used by Tim De Paravicini to dem his EAR 509...they just sounded amazing.
On Bach organ music, no less.
Amazing clarity and bass quality you just wouldn't believe form such small boxes.

They're definetely on my shortlist.

Cheers,;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
They need really good stands

(One) of the problems with the LS3/5a is that it needs a really good stand if the bass isn't to be flabby. My stands cost almost as much as the loudspeakers! Forget sand amplifiers unless their top is really clean. Another problem is that they are ideal for cats to perch on. Cathode has just been shouted at for this misdemeanour.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: They need really good stands

EC8010 said:
(One) of the problems with the LS3/5a is that it needs a really good stand if the bass isn't to be flabby. My stands cost almost as much as the loudspeakers! Forget sand amplifiers unless their top is really clean. Another problem is that they are ideal for cats to perch on. Cathode has just been shouted at for this misdemeanour.
hehe,just remember how blue pair of EL34 can be -driving LS3/5 at modest level

:devily:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CATS.

Hi,

Cathode has just been shouted at for this misdemeanour.

LOL.

Yes, you're absolutely right there.

I'm trying to remember the name of the guy making these stands...he was based somewhere in Surrey and made a range of welded stands for a variety of speakers...memory fails me on this.
It wasn't Target I think...

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.