• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6sn7 direct coupled and transformer coupled

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I was wondering what are the changes that must be done in the second version (direct coupled) of the next preamplifier in order to use a 6-7K transformer at the anode of the second tube instead of the 5mf capacitor coupling

Attachments

• frank-6sn7-linestages.gif
    frank-6sn7-linestages.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 734
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
neazoi said:
Hi I was wondering what are the changes that must be done in the second version (direct coupled) of the next preamplifier in order to use a 6-7K transformer at the anode of the second tube instead of the 5mf capacitor coupling

You can't use such a transformer in the anode circuit of a single 6SN7, you need ~ 3X rp for good performance - you can get away comfortably with 15K primary impedance if the primary inductance is high and the secondary is lightly loaded. (i.e. > 600 ohm load)

Why you would want to is beyond me.. A single 6SN7 or pair of 6J5 with transformers should provide enough gain for most line stage applications. (About 6dB - 12dB depending on load at the secondary for a 15K:600 transformer.)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, 25K:500 will be fine. Ratio is about 7.1:1 , gain should be somewhere in the vicinity of 6 - 9dB depending on loading. Again this is with just a single triode per channel. Set bias so that plate current is about 1 - 2mA lower than the transformer's rated primary dc current to avoid saturation.

Should sound quite good.

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.