6sn7 direct coupled and transformer coupled - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
neazoi is offline neazoi  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default 6sn7 direct coupled and transformer coupled

Hi I was wondering what are the changes that must be done in the second version (direct coupled) of the next preamplifier in order to use a 6-7K transformer at the anode of the second tube instead of the 5mf capacitor coupling
Attached Images
File Type: gif frank-6sn7-linestages.gif (11.3 KB, 564 views)
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: 6sn7 direct coupled and transformer coupled

Quote:
Originally posted by neazoi
Hi I was wondering what are the changes that must be done in the second version (direct coupled) of the next preamplifier in order to use a 6-7K transformer at the anode of the second tube instead of the 5mf capacitor coupling

You can't use such a transformer in the anode circuit of a single 6SN7, you need ~ 3X rp for good performance - you can get away comfortably with 15K primary impedance if the primary inductance is high and the secondary is lightly loaded. (i.e. > 600 ohm load)

Why you would want to is beyond me.. A single 6SN7 or pair of 6J5 with transformers should provide enough gain for most line stage applications. (About 6dB - 12dB depending on load at the secondary for a 15K:600 transformer.)
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:13 AM   #3
neazoi is offline neazoi  Greece
diyAudio Member

Sir,
I am thinking of using a pair of UTC A-34 vintage transformers sold on ebay. They can be taped to 25Kohm or 6.5Kohm primary and 500Ohm or 125Ohm secondary.
I see you suggest 15K primary but from your experience do you think it should be ok with 25K?
Best regards.
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:30 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, 25K:500 will be fine. Ratio is about 7.1:1 , gain should be somewhere in the vicinity of 6 - 9dB depending on loading. Again this is with just a single triode per channel. Set bias so that plate current is about 1 - 2mA lower than the transformer's rated primary dc current to avoid saturation.

Should sound quite good.

Hide this!Advertise here!