• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How are this schematic ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6N23P + KT88 push pull with regulation power supply preamp.

Can I modify it to integrated amplifier by change Av and use passive volume ?

PCB or HARD WIRING ?

Thanks
Rubydac

Attachments

• 6n23p+6550.jpg
    6n23p+6550.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 825
rubydac said:
6N23P + KT88 push pull with regulation power supply preamp.

Looks pretty good, except for:

#1)

I would change the tail load to a CCS made from cascoded BJTs. It isn't all that much more involved, and it works better.

#2)

This is especially bad. You already have a negative rail and fixed bias. It would be much better to give each final its own bias adjust pot. Use 10R sense resistors in each cathode. That way, each final can be adjusted for current balance to really minimize the DC magnetization current. What you have there won't give good balance between phases unless you use matched sets (more $BUX). Of course, matched sets aren't guaranteed to remain matched once they go into service.

PCB or HARD WIRING ?

What I do is to use a modified "dead bug" method of construction. Build each subsystem on copper clad circuit board with connection pads etched into the copper with a Dremmel or some similar engraving tool. The ground planes of each board are individually connected to the DC neutral.

Attachments

• 6n23p+6550_i.jpg
    6n23p+6550_i.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 565
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I noticed that you do not have a bypass cap across pins 4 - 7 of your op-amp, I do note that you have a zener across these pins which is the right thing to do. ARC commonly used a 30V zener in this location.

I recommend a dip for thermal considerations, which should be socketed for easy replacement in the event of a mis-hap.

I don't quite get what you are doing wrt to a reference.

Everything appears to referred to the regulated output, but for absolute predictability the reference needs to be referred to ground which is the only defined point in the system.

Take a look at some of the supply schematics on legacy ARC products which can be found on their website.

Using this approach you can regulate everything if you so choose.

FWIW it's a good thing you replaced your BJT based CCS - as drawn it would not work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.