• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need help with a Tube preamp Kit (6Z4, 6N3)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got something similar from Ebay and connected it up.

I was not going to connect it up to my main rig without a test... So the trusty garage hifi amp - NAD3020 was pressed into service. The NAD has a pre and pwer section and they are normally connected by a simple jumper. Off with the jumper and connecting up the tube pre...
Using a tuner as source. On it all goes. Hmm, nice and quite with no signal - no hum etc... on with the source - wow it plays and actually sounds better than the NAD pre... No too hard I hear you cry. Smoke and function/integration test done.

Nice pics! I just picked up this exact unit and I'm planning to hook it up to an old Onkyo reciever (TXDS676) which also has the same jumper thing between the pre & power sections. Sorry for the newb question, but did you run this "between" the two sections (as a tube buffer) or just into the "amp in" as a preamp (bypassing the NAD's pre section)?

FYI, the first one of these I bought from eBay did the exact same thing...it ended up being a short on the board, a manufacturers defect. After a couple of months of fussing with the seller I got a replacement that worked fine. iIRC I added a Hammond 30h choke to the power supply that greatly reduced the background hum. It has long been sold years ago....

That's too bad.. mine still has'nt arrived, but here's hoping I don't have any such problems with it.. :p

Though I think what Speedysteve7 actually meant was that his worked fine out of the box ...ie no hum without an audio signal & it sounded great when the source was switched on..

Hey phantomGlow,
Can you please share the link from where you ordered the tube preamp.
Regards
Srivastava.

Comment's

I have the very same pre-amp. ;) it rocks and is very nice for pre-amping your tape and cd player outputs to your head amp. Give it a nice color. I left in the LED's i dont notice much of a diffrence anyhow. :D:p

But the project box (power transformer) for the preamp is a very :D good idea man! :cool:
maybe post another pictures with your other setup's ;)
vince

I had no problem disabling the cheesy green lights. You just have to gently stab the LEDs in the center of the tube sockets with a sharp object. Looks so, so much better with the warm natural glow of tubes (that being said, they really don't glow all that brightly in a preamp -- it's not like they are power tubes being cranked up!). (Also, while I could not perceive a difference, I'm told that having LEDs in a preamp is a terrible idea because they add noise. Whatever the case, the preamp is absolutely dead quiet ... you can't hear any hum or other noise no matter how far you turn the volume up.)

I'm not sure whether putting better tubes in there is really worth it. I spent $100 on a pair of NOS Tung-Sols, but being real, the difference is very slight. I am well familiar with changing out power tubes in guitar amps, and those can make a huge difference, but in an audio preamp I guess it's not nearly as critical.

All in all, a killer, killer deal if you can live without remote volume control!!!

A pic of mine is at: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...ms/5793293577173464577?authkey=CIaY0aXXtsTLBQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.