• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube voltage regulator error amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is a triode with a mu of 100 good, my problem is the voltage around 1 to 1.5 kv.

I have found a few triodes that will do this but no pentodes so far.

How do you compare the amp factor of a pentode to a triode, if it's even listed for the pentode.
All the ones I have looked at to are very low like a mu of 6 to 10 for pentodes.

I will take a look at some old Tek schematics but if memory serves they did some funky stuff with the high voltage or nothing at all.

Thanks

Nick

SY I looked at a few TEK tube scope schematic for reference as you said.

Out of the 2 I looked at all the error amp tubes were 6au6's and it's mu is 36.

The question I have is can I use a triode for this application if it has a high mu say 100 or 150?

Thanks,

Nick

nhuwar said:
How do you compare the amp factor of a pentode to a triode, if it's even listed for the pentode.

u= gm X rp for all devices

Example: 6CB6:

rp= 280K
gm= 8.0mA/V

u= (280E3)(8E-3)= 2240

They don't list it for pents or solid state since it's not very useful for anything but triodes since only triodes exhibit significant Ip change with varying Vpk. Calculations for devices other than triodes use gm. (You can also use gm with triodes as well, if you so desired.)

All the ones I have looked at to are very low like a mu of 6 to 10 for pentodes.

That would be for trioded operation (screen in parallel with plate). For most pentodes, u should be several hundred to several thousand.

Keep in mind the stability of the closed loop system.... You need to calculate the compensation values to maintain a safe and stable loop.... You can plot your POLES and ZEROS on a BODE plot if you prefer graphical representation....
The objective is stay above 60 degrees of Phase Margin at your cross-over frequency... and better than 15 degrees of Gain Margin..

Chris

I knew pentodes had high mu but I was questioning myself since I didn't see much of anything when I looked at data sheets, so thanks for clearing that up.

I know my options are very limited do to the high b+ and I haven't found many pentide that work at these high voltages.

Originally I was looking at using a 6293 since it can handle a b+ of 3kv but was thrown off do to the low mu listed, now I know why.

I will calculate the mu for this tube and maybe I will be able to use it.

Thanks for the help Guy's

Nick

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
A 6AU6 should do fine here. There's no need for the pentode error amplifier to be exposed to the full regulated voltage. Normally, there would be a reference tube or two (or a zener string) between the pentode's cathode and ground. It is that reference voltage that is compared with the sampled voltage at the control grid. If the reference voltage is e.g. 500v, that effectively subtracts 500v from the plate-cathode and screen-cathode voltages as seen by the pentode.

Well I stated 1 to 1.2 kv, but it could be higher then that. My input voltage could be close to 2kv. I want to make the circuit as stout as possible and I want a few hundred extra volts on the back side of the regulator for heavy current draws.

It's still a work in progress so it's all on the chalk board.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.