• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 DC 10Y Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,

I'm looking for a summer project. What do you think of a DC coupled EL84 to 10Y output, similar to the one in the link below?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.tubemaster.de/e-diy-EL842A3.html

Alternatively, I am also contemplating a Yamamoto style 717A cap-coupled to a 10Y output - even though I am not yet convinced about the sonics of this combination - I think it may sound kind of thin...

The EL84 is a very musical tube and I think it would pair u well with the 10Y's extended highs. What do you think?

TIA,

-- josé k.

Not much of a worry when the 2A3 will give 2.5 watts and a EL84 pentode is over 5.
astouffer, since the EL84 is being used as a voltage amplifier, its "wattage" is beside the point.

I ran the circuit through tube CAD. I got an Av of 11.5 with the values listed. Multiplying that by 2 Vrms output "standard", it results in 23 Vrms to the grid of the 2A3.

Plugging 70V peak into SE CAD with a 2A3 Fixed Bias with 250V on the plate shows signs of clipping, and 3.75 watts RMS

So it appears that the gain is just enough for full output.

HTH

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.