Varnish on old transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Varnish on old transformer

Hey Guys
I just bought 2 240 volt to 110 Volt transformers so that I can run a balanced 240 V out to my equipment by connecting one winding of each to the other etc etc to get 240 V out.
These transfromers made by A and R australia in the 60's. Brand new as in I cracked the wooden crate and then removed the bitumised paper wrapper and the the other wrapper.. so in effect pristine.
My question is though that the varnish odour is quite strong... and I am wondering what the likelihood is that this varnish contains PCB's. It will be a pity to ditch them if they are as the balanced isolated AC works for my ears.
So do I worry and ditch them or just take a deep breath?
Thanks
Nick
Old 17th May 2008, 11:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

PCBs are not highly volatile. What you are smelling rates to be some solvent, not PCBs.

Protect the trafos from dust and let them air out for a few days, in a well ventilated space. Then, put them to work!
Old 17th May 2008, 11:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for that.. They are great trannys rated at 9 amps. I have already back to backed my sound system... With the Balanced ac music is certianly better.
Cheers
Old 17th May 2008, 01:47 PM   #4
работник
diyAudio Member

Default Trafo Oil

The PCB (nasty) oil used in trafos is very mobile (runny), and I don't believe it was used in open trafos. The black steel enclosed type with ceramic terminals are most suspect for PCB content.
Old 18th May 2008, 09:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default PCB??

Hey, I have a couple of the old black jobs you're talking about with the ceramic terminals. What is PCB? I've never heard of it before. -sounds very nasty. should I be worried?
Old 18th May 2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
I thought they were only used in big huge transformers, something the electric company would use... not small consumer trafos.
Old 18th May 2008, 10:08 PM   #7
работник
diyAudio Member

Default Polychlorinated biphenyls Oil

PCB oil was used in chokes, transformers, and oil-capacitors - and it is very likely that ex-military purchases of sealed items of good valve amplifier utility will include this toxic material.

Even small caps down to 2uF/600V used it, and old-design flourescent lighting units also adopted oil caps of this kind. Air forces liked it particularly, since it's nonflammable.

The old black enamelled steel-enclosed trafos are usually well-made, and don't present much of a safety hazard, unless physically damaged.

Making sure they don't leak is the main precaution, so use a fuse on primary and secondary to be sure they don't overheat and spew oil from some rupture of the housing.

Don't landfill dud items of this kind, turn it in to a proper handling agent. Check the precautions for handling the event that leakage does occur:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/msa19.htm

the nature of the PCBs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl
Old 18th May 2008, 10:17 PM   #8
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

pcb's was used as a nonflammable replacement for hydrocarbon dielectric oil. It was not used in varnish or shellac. It was used in enclosed transformers and capacitors. It was not nor could it be used in open frame transformers.

The smell was probably napthane.

Nick
Old 19th May 2008, 06:18 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default definitely not pcb

Hey there.
Being a civilian type step down unit, it is an open transformer in a steel case of course. The smell has dissipated greatly over the last few days but it certianly isnt what i would call a pleasant smell...
Hopefully it will have completely gone in the next few days.
Thanks for all the help
Nick
Old 19th May 2008, 09:27 AM   #10
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

It is probably just from being packed that well in storage....

Even new transformers I have custom wound at the factory stink to high hell for the first few weeks...

Hide this!Advertise here!