• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Raising filament winding above cathode with a EZ81 in the circuit OK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which brings up a question I have been pondering over, which should also help G in his quest for elevating his heaters:

That has to do with selecting the size of the capacitor. Here's my assumption, correct me if I'm wrong:

Determine voltage divider. I usually throw out a total current of 1mA as an approximation. So if I have a 300V B+, and want to elevate the heaters to 50V, I would choose a 250K and 50K resistor set. Simple enough.

So, then, how to choose C ??? What I do is figure out the source impedance of my divider network. 250K in parallel with 50K is 41.6K. Then, I select the RC time constant for some number lower than 20Hz, say 5Hz. If RC= 5, then C = 120uF. 'lytic should be fine.

Is this rational thought?

The capacitor has to be a low impedance for the noise sources, which are 60 Hz and up, and are relatively high impedance. Heater-cathode leakage, common-mode power-line noise from capacitance between primary and heater windings, etc. I think anything over 10 uF would be enough... but since it's a low voltage, even a 330 uF cap won't be very big...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.