• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

using flash camera (and maybe laptop screen or fluorescent) inverters to power tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some years ago i had a dramatic experience: I was repairing a bad joint in a digital camera and suddenly i found myself into the floor. It took me about five minutes to realise that something inside the camera shocked me (I did the repair with no safety practices since i thought that the highest voltage inside the camera was 3Vdc).

Later i discovered that the flash uses an inverter that can give up to 200V at 1 mA.

Now i'm doing a super-compact chipamp and i wanted to add a tube buffer to it, so i picked up the digital camera inverter and used it to power a low quiescent current PCC88 cathode follower. The results are very nice, the buffer has a distortion under 0.5% (the residual at the scope is under 0.5% but it looks like distorted fundamental, so if i used anything finer than substracting a scaled input to the output maybe i would find the distortion to be under 0.1%).

Digital cameras have evolved a lot in the past few years and many of us have one or many broken ones which aren't worth repairing, so using the inverter to power small tube buffers seems a very cheap and interesting option (adding the tube buffer to my compact gainclone left it's weight and size unchanged!).

While the flash camera has a 100 uF cap that filters most smps noise (i had to add a RLC filter to get rid of it completely), i have no idea of whether the laptop screen inverter output is DC or AC, despite it seems to be a digitally controlled CCS (that would be great to power tubes if it was easy to interface).

I would like to ask if someone has used a lcd inverter to power tubes, which tubes work well at low quiescent currents (PCC88 is wonderful in that sense) and if somebody has used a fluorescent bulb inverter to power tubes, as transformers are the most expensive parts in any tube amplifier.

I recall that Audio Amateur had an article using one of these chips -- there was also an article in Nuts N Volts one or two issues ago using one for running nixies.

These chips are pretty noisy. A better route would be to use one of the low-noise switching chips from Linear Tech. These are slew controlled so the switching chips go through the linear portion -- albeit generating heat in the process.

off-topic?

...maybe off-topic, but one way of having an easy power supply for tubes could be to put two "small" transformers "back-to-back", like
220 || 12 into 12 || 220

In countries where the network works at 220V or 240V, this gives above 300V when rectified and smoothed with caps.

Then of course you also need a supply for the heaters, almost inevitably DC.

But transformers under 100VA can be found relatively cheap, including from wrecked equipment (VCRs of the pre-SMPS age, the older the better...)

Edit: wrecked SMPSes can give high voltage caps, though the tedious part is to make sure that *they* (the caps) are not damaged.

_

Originally posted by Jackinnj
These chips are pretty noisy. A better route would be to use one of the low-noise switching chips from Linear Tech. These are slew controlled so the switching chips go through the linear portion -- albeit generating heat in the process.

These chips look nice, i don't see noise as a problem since the low current drawn by the tube stage allows for the use of a rc network of, say 2KOhm - 10 uF would provide a rejection of 62 dB at 50 Khz, a choke would increase it even more and the large reservoir cap would almost null it, while this is feeding a cathode follower which itself has a good PSRR. A grounded cathode amplifier might give more problems.

Originally posted by pilli
Edit: wrecked SMPSes can give high voltage caps, though the tedious part is to make sure that *they* (the caps) are not damaged.

Yes, i use these caps, and also some from crt tv's. Using a couple of small transformers instead of a big one may save money but not weight and size. My compact tubed gainclone looks wonderful!

off topic 2

Hey Pilli,

You don't need another transformer for the heater supply. Just wire it like this:

220 || 12 into 12 || 220
|
Diode Bridge
|
RC Filter
|
Regulator
|
Heater

Cheap and easy :)

S6300039.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.