• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Another tube radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My uncle gave me his 1936 Sears Silvertone radio this past weekend, so i'm restoring it currently.

3 of its tubes have those plugs attached to the top of them. My question is what were those for? Why did tubes have a plug coming out of the top, and couldn't this have been moved to another pin on the bottom?

pics of the radio so you can see what i'm working on:

Attachments

• sil_4764_a.jpg
    sil_4764_a.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 173
Nice looking set

In answer to the first part of the question, the top caps for the frequency changer, IF amplifier and the first audio amplifier (usually a double diode triode) are the signal grid connections.

I don't really know that answer to the second part - I'd hazard a guess that it was due to the state of the construction technology available at the time which made it easier to use top caps, and possibly it was an attempt to avoid instability to have the signal grid well separated from the connections for the other parts of the tube.

With a frequency changer tube, which normally was a triode-hexode, triode-heptode or octode tube, you could run out of pins on the bottom of the tube anyway for all the connections you need!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.