• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Toroidal output transformers with screen drive- why not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just had an interesting thought.

Toroidal output transformers seem to have one drawback... the problem with very quick magnetic saturation due to primary DC current mismatch between the two sides, using push-pull output tubes.

Well... seems that most screen-drive amps can get away with VERY LOW bias current... to the tune of 3ma to 5ma DC on each tube, for a push-pull pair!

This seems to be an ideal situation for toroidal outputs, it would seem to me. With that little bias current, even large-percentage shifts in bias current would make for very small actual changes in DC current differential between the two sides...

Anyone tried this, or have any ideas as to why this might or might not work?

Thanks!

Regards,
Gordon.

GordonW said:
Just had an interesting thought.

Toroidal output transformers seem to have one drawback... the problem with very quick magnetic saturation due to primary DC current mismatch between the two sides, using push-pull output tubes.

I am using a 120VA mains toroidal transformer as a PP OPT for my KT88 amp and I am measuring DC imbalance of 6ma and I am not getting any magnetic saturation on them.

The KT88 are cathode biased and triode strapped, producing around 20 watts per channel. Each power tube has its own cathode resistor and bypass, I previously configured it to have a shared resistor and when I installed individual cathode resistors it seems to be more balanced.

Re: Re: Toroidal output transformers with screen drive- why not?

alexg said:

I am using a 120VA mains toroidal transformer as a PP OPT for my KT88 amp and I am measuring DC imbalance of 6ma and I am not getting any magnetic saturation on them.

That's kind of the direction I was going with my thinking, when starting this discussion. :scratch2:

The lower impedance ratios of power transformers could be just what is needed for a PPP screen-drive amp...

Regards,
Gordon.

woodturner-fran said:
A user here Shoog has used power toroidals in a few amps and I can tell you they sound great. I think he goes for 4-5 times over the wattage.

Fran

I got the idea of using toroidal OPT from Shoog, and have been closely following his work.

I did a 6as7/6080 parafeed using a 40VA mains transformer and it sounded excellent!

I am encountering the first serious issues with the Tabor clone I am currently building. I get big overshoot on all square wave leading edges. I needed to install a Zobel on the primary to tame this. I haven't got the same issue with other amps using the same transformers. I can only presume that the very low output impedance of the plate to plate design is interacting with the interwinding capacitance to over excite the transformer.
Certainly an issue to watch for and a good scope is needed to diagnose. Aparently there are no free lunches.

I also find that wiring up a transformer in one direction will induce ringing and then reversing the wiring will make it go away.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.