• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heads up! New unbuilt Dynaco ST-70 kit on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TubeHead Johnny said:
I find it funny that it's worth a lot more unassembled than finished! A collector's piece for sure. Those NOS trannies, as well as the Mullards, are worth their weight in gold!

I guess it is psychological in nature. An unbuilt kit is the ultimate form of an 'unmolested' vintage item. In vintage collectibles, unmolested is worth bucks.

Funny thing is the item will probably have less market value after whomever buys it finishes building it. In that case it makes less sense to purchase it if a tube amp to listen to is your goal.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Auction closed at $1025 which is a lot to pay for an ST-70 assembled or not.

To guarantee a high level of success the driver boards were fully assembled and tested. If you have seen some units that worked fine with the terrible soldering skills exhibited you will understand why they provided assembled boards.. :D

I figure both the coupling caps and electrolytics should be replaced with current production devices, not to mention the selenium bias rectifier, although who knows they might all be fine if stored under ideal conditions. I gave away a bunch of 40yr old nos FP style cans recently and the recipient reported all seem to be good. (Some have been in use for a few months now without issues, although I really wonder how long that will continue to be the case.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.