• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which of these tubes is best?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Opinions please...

I have a quad of each of the following tubes. I'm trying to select the best quad for the amp I just built. Which of these tubes is the most transparent? I have my own opinion but I'd be interested in other opinions too...

GE 6550
JJ KT88
SED KT88
EH KT90

Thanks!

The envelope please...

I just had my listening test... The "clear" winner (my amp, my ears)

The SEDs

They had the best clarity and lowest distortion.

On the other hand, the EH KT90s sounded like crap.

The JJs were almost as good as the SEDs but had a tiny amout of distortion

cerrem said:
Keep in mind that for a fair comparison you need to make sure all the brands are of equivalent transconductance and DC quiescent currents..... Also plate resistance will have variance...

Chris

Yeah, they are...

I just tried the GE6550s and was surprised! I knew that was the most indestructible 6550 ever made (only power tube approved for the tube destroying Fender 400PS) but I didn't know they had such good balance and clarity! They might be #1 and if not, they're a close #2. I'll need to do some more listening...

Regarding the GE valves...

Many people seem to overlook GE 6L6GCs, for some reason, but I find them excellent, in the same class as RCA black plates. GE have made some really fine valves over the years. I also believe that their 6005 5-star is as good as any available 6AQ5.

Wade

Final Results

OK, I have the order selected. This is for my ears with my amp. YMMV.

Consolation prize - KT90EH
Third Prize - JJ KT88
Second prize - GE6550A

And the Clear Winner - SED KT88 - Yes we have a First Place winner!

Now if anyone wants to send me a quad of Genalex's, let me know! ha ha ha ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.