• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sonic effects of tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my opinion, air has most to do with phase and not distortion necessarily. Although distortion is a big factor of course.

I have subjectively found that feedback (be it global or local, the latter being less significant) reduces sensations of air. I think this has to do with phase delay effects of feedback.

Also RC networks placed almost anywhere near the circuit reduce air.

I faintly recall from school biology, that the human ear figures out the location of a sound source by phase comparison (between ears). This could mean that by messing up the phase content of audio signals you would also remove any sensations of air from it.

I have absolutely no scientific proof; I would be interested in having some, so please prove or disprove my purely subjective findings. =)

Also RC networks placed almost anywhere near the circuit reduce air.
I assume you don't mean that literally i.e. I put an R and C soldered together on the shelf above my amp and some of the "air" disappears fom the sound?

Feedback can advance phase. A typical SS amp would have delayed phase from the open-loop dominant pole somewhere in the LF region or below. Massive amounts of global NFB move the pole up to well above the audio range, so advancing the phase.

My understanding is that we localise sounds by phase at low frequencies and transient timing at high frequencies, combined with a little frequency response variation caused by our earlobes and head getting in the way, or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.