• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

auricap Vs musicap (Another Cap Question)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Why go to Chris and Tony when DaveT did his own tests here with a lot of help with the forum! At least give it a quick read. There are a few surprises and some great values and info! This info might help shape your choices for your own test(s). Then read the others!

But always remember...YMMV, so you can't assume you will get the same results (regardless of who shared their findings) without your own tests in your own circuits!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=101344

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

The best way to pick a cap is to start with cheap ones and slowly work your way up until you're happy. Listen to each cap at least for a few days before moving on. I always get different results due to the actual amp circuit I'm using at the time. And I've found some great buys along the way. Dayton (PartsExpress) sells a good PFF cap for only $1.39, and it sounds great in a KT66 PP that I've built.

Musicaps are film and foil construction. Auricap is metalized film. Film an foil is theoretically better, but tends to be much larger than it's metalized equivalent. Although I have never compared them back to back, I can bet the musicap would sound better in some applications and the auricap sounds better in other applications. It really comes down to how the caps characteristics blend with the rest of the system. A bright sounding amp may benefit from a mellow cap where as a mellow amp may sound better with a bright cap.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jeb-D. said:
It really comes down to how the caps characteristics blend with the rest of the system. A bright sounding amp may benefit from a mellow cap where as a mellow amp may sound better with a bright cap.

An excellent point. I just took a bright system. Installed a more mellow cap. And got a better balance for me.

Regards,
Dan

:smash:

Thanks for the suggestions- I think I will start of with something cheap (or good value rather) then work my way up through different types as per Tubehead suggestions.

Point taken about the sound of your amp- I am currently building the Tubelab SimpleSE project so Im am not too sure of the finer sonic details (yet!)

Thanks again

:)

Hey Dub,

Read the DIYAudio hyperlink that I posted above. I know it takes time and work but this subject requires an effort on your part for the best results. Shooting blindly is also a waste of time and money.

That thread includes:

A circuit to "Burn in" caps so you don't have to run the amp for up to hundreds of hours to make a judgement on a particular cap. If you decide on a cap right after installing, you are selling yourself short. This circuit helps condition (so to speak) the caps to perform like they have been in for weeks. Only then can you really compare IMO.

Some ideas about a methodology.

It tests a range of caps from Radio Shack through BG N series through Wima and a bunch of other caps including Auricaps and Flourinet injected caps.

It also covers Bypassing Combinations and this will surprise you on how cheap you can get great results. The famous V-R MKP1837 was evaluated and also silver Micas and other combos.

A quick trial using DC Coupling rather than a Coupling Cap.

Some feelings about NO Coupling caps at all.

Some direction from Industry people with MANY years of professional experience that may influence what may or may not be true here (not all popular beliefs here are true).

It is a long read but it covers quite a bit of info and after you make your decision is when you will find out all you didn't know, so read it and be aware of many factors that can help you get what you want. I find with DIY Mods in many cases, I don't even know what I don't know. I hate to learn or become aware of it after it's too late. If you find any of the content interesting, you can explore deeper into the subject, but do this with your eyes open. Oh and your ears too!

I hope this info will help you to enjoy the methodology and process to get you the best results!

Please let us know how it goes!

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.