• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

blue glow on one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
One of the tubes in my amp has always had a blue glow. Today I finally decided to do some testing, and swapped tubes, and still, the right channel was the one glowing.
I even used a different type of tube, and same thing.

I checked the current and voltage on both channels, and they are exactly the same.

this is a 300b se amp.

What else could cause this if the voltage and current are the same?

thanks!

It's normal for some tubes to glow, if it is on the inner glass surface. Although, that's weird that it's always on one channel even when switching tubes. I've seen oscillation cause blue glow between the plate and the cathode, but not on the glass surface.

Read this link.
http://members.aol.com/larrysb/blue_glow.html

Here is a picture of one of my amps that glow. Sorry for the size
DSC00327.jpg

As SY's earlier link noted, a lot of tubes where there are holes in the anode glow where electrons 'escape' through these holes. I have some EH 6ca7s which do this and some Sylvania 6ca7s (similar holes in anode) which don't. I'm sure tube construction and the design of the elements can affect this. I like the magnetic field explanation too...Using an old speaker magnet, one can cause the blue electron glow to move etc...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.