• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Suitable Power Trans for 6gw8/6bm8/el84

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could anyone please advise if this power trans would suit for a starting point for parts to attempt to build either a 6gw8 / 6bm8 or el84 SE amp, or would it suit all and is it also suitable for 240 V mains power ?

If so which is the best way to bench test, if it is actually operative.

If more images are required please let me know, as it appears I can only attach 1 image here.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 244
The trafo will not support a 6BM8 based stereoblock. The overall VA rating is way too small, sorry. For instance, the 6.3 V. winding is rated at 800 mA. You need 800 mA. per 6BM8. :(

Still, that chunk of "iron" could be quite useful. Notice the "universal" primary side. Set up for 230 V., unless your average mains voltage runs high, in which case you set up for 250 V. "Full wave" voltage double the 115 mA./134 V. winding. You will get approx. 30 mA. of B+, in the neighborhood of 325 V. That's good for many preamp circuits. You could rectify the 6.3 VAC winding to get a DC heater supply suitable for a phono preamp. Have you ever considered a takeoff on the "classic" passively EQed RCA design? :D

Hi Eli.

Thanks for your reply, I guess its back to the start again.

The idea of a preamp sounds OK, however seeing as this is my 1st attempt at building an amp, I wanted to start off with a simple se amp.

You mentioned that the 6.3 V. winding is OK for one 6bm8, therefore ( & I guess you may have already answered this ) is it OK for a mono amp ?

Whiting said:
Hi Eli.

Thanks for your reply, I guess its back to the start again.

The idea of a preamp sounds OK, however seeing as this is my 1st attempt at building an amp, I wanted to start off with a simple se amp.

You mentioned that the 6.3 V. winding is OK for one 6bm8, therefore ( & I guess you may have already answered this ) is it OK for a mono amp ?

Yes, a mono 6BM8 SE amp is possible. However, it will have extremely limited utility. :(

FWIW, I'm involved in a project that's gathering considerable steam that uses 2X 'BM8s in a stereo "integrated" amp. The power "iron" suggested is made by Triad and works in both "120" and "240" V. zones. A number of other Aussie dudes are involved. Look here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.