• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Differential stage biasing choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello:

See attached. Questions are pretty simple, but feel free to add 'why' reasons, as it's helpful to know the reasons for what we do.

1. Which scheme would you use, top (CCS) or bottom (resistor)? My leaning is for the top.

2. For CCS biasing, is the capacitor necessary? It seems to me, there is absolutely no effect it will have on the circuit.

Thanks !

Attachments

• diff.gif
    diff.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 213
1. In theory the top circuit is better because the current source has a higher impedance (resistance).
2. The cap should be eliminated. For AC purposes "it looks" like it is between the cathode and ground. Thus at higher frequencies it will shunt the cathode to ground impedance. You don't want this.

Okay, that confirms that I can get rid of the capacitor (a good thing IMO- one less source of coloration and endless part swapping).

I'll have to mull over the forced balance option at Lynn's site. Anyone try this very design? His Amity/Karna designs are a little different from this topology.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.