• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My EL84 SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just wanted to share my little EL84 SE amplifier I built a few months ago. I purchased a Motorola phonograph console at a local flea market, which was horrible sounding. So I decided to gut it and make my own circuit using the parts. What is a little different about it is that the output tube (EL84/6BQ5) has its cathode grounded through the output transformer secondary, giving 100% feedback so that the EL84 is running as a power follower. There is an article by John Broskie which sparked the idea. At first it sounded a little dark and I didnt think I was going to keep it this way, but, after a week or so of use it settled in and sounds quite nice. Attached is the schematic as it is.

Attachments

• ot feedback.gif
    ot feedback.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,579
I haven't seen that topology since I traced the circuit of my rescued Stereogram (console) amplifier, er, today.

This amp dates back to the 50s - there is nothing new under the sun.

It does have the cathode resistor and capacitor in it too. The first stage is a 12AX7 with gridleak biasing.

Sounds pretty horrendous - loads of magnetic couling between the power and output transformers, all those 50-year-old components and the lack of power supply filtering conspire to make it worse than it should be.

I am going to use the iron and tubes in a DIY amplifier - not sure whether to use this schematic (if I may, that is) or Alex Kitic's RH84. I am leaning toward the RH84 at the moment.

James

EDIT - do you have a link to the TCJ article? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT 2 - My console amp doesn't have any feedback around the 12AX7, though.

Thanks also for posting the link Jeb, it seems a bit difficult to find exactly what your looking for on JB's website. True enough that r8 can be omitted but c5 is there because the winding resistance of the OT secondary produces a voltage drop. In my case it is 30mV. I could also use considerably less nfb to the 12ax7,or none at all, but my source produces 2Vrms and the amp just begins to audibly distort at max volume, so this setup works well for me. The low output impendance is quite noticeable in the bass region as it is quite tight and smooth more like a SS amp would be, but it still has the nice warm midrange we expect of a tube amp. Imaging is quite nice as well. The power supply uses a 5y3gt rectifier and basic rc filtering, Supply noise is hard to hear even with an ear right against the speaker.

but c5 is there because the winding resistance of the OT secondary produces a voltage drop. In my case it is 30mV

That is cautious thinking, which isn't necessarily bad. However, if you were to remove the cap, your source will be separated from that 30mV by that 470k+47k ohm resistance.
With the capacitor in there the source will see 0mV of that 30mV and the grid of the tube will see all 30mV.

If you remove the cap and you’re driving it with a direct coupled source with a Zout of example 1k you would have

((1k / (1k + 470k + 47k)) * 30mV = .058mV on the output of the source

((1k + 47k)/(1k + 47k + 470k)) * 30mV = 2.7mV on the grid of the tube.

These numbers are in similar range of offset errors from op-amps in sources or voltage produced by grid-leak of your input tube.
If the amp is driven by a capacitive coupled source then it will just behave as it does now with the coupling cap. I'm not saying your wrong by having it in there, but just that there aren't really any dangers by removing it.

The low output impendance is quite noticeable in the bass region

I don't doubt it. It's a 12ax7 driving a Pentode that takes 2Vin to clip. Contrary to what I said earlier, you are probably best off leaving the 12ax7 feedback in, as long as it sounds good. It would probably have too much gain without it. I was just curious what the output impedance would be with only the output stage feedback.

It's good you are happy with the sound now. I've been getting more into Pentodes. Triodes are just too inefficient and I really don't find them to be sonically superior as most claim. It really just depends on the design, layout and the parts used, regardless of if it's Triode or Pentode.

I recently decided to tweak this little amp a bit. Oddly though I changed R4 (47k) to 22k with no change in apparent gain. The input level remains the same before audible distortion. Am I correct in saying the change in gain should have doubled, or rather it should only take half the input of the 47k/470k divider to achieve full output?

I believe there is a sim schematic of the feedback idea in the Radiotron 4th ed hd'k.

I remember in 1960, (memory's sound) Mullard produced a 3W EL84 SE where the screen grid of the 1st stage EF86 is strapped to the cathode of the EL84 o/p tube.
Anyone got a schematic. Or is it not worth building ?

richj

jerluwoo said:
I recently decided to tweak this little amp a bit. Oddly though I changed R4 (47k) to 22k with no change in apparent gain. The input level remains the same before audible distortion. Am I correct in saying the change in gain should have doubled, or rather it should only take half the input of the 47k/470k divider to achieve full output?

No, there should be no apparent change in level.

The input divider was: 470K / (470k + 47K) = 0.909

Change to 22K gives 0.955

SveinB

I'ld be curious how yours works out. The Mullard 3-3 was my first build. The measured thd was low but the distortion components horrendous, still going strong where my sound card ran out of bandwidth. Never did sort out if it specific to my build.

jerluwoo said:

Ah, I see, so obvious now to adjust R2 (470k) instead. :xeye:

Maybe.
I think my advise in post #14 should be more or less discarded. I had not properly studied the diagram, and only considered the voltage divider and not the GFB.

To see how much extra gain is possible (and thus the present feedback level) you could try without GFB by moving the bottom end of the 470K to GND.

SveinB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.