• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone used the 7C7 loktal pentode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was thinking of cobbling together either a Hafler-circuit or Mullard-circuit PP amp from some junk here. Among other things, I got a gaggle of loktal tubes... a set of 4 7C5 (same as 6V6, outputs), a few double triodes (6F8, 6N7, 6V7, etc), and three 7C7 pentodes...

Well, I looked up the available data... and darn, if the 7C7 isn't about the closest thing I've seen, to matching the parameters of an EF86 or EF804. The transconductance is somewhat lower (about 2/3 that of the EF86), and it can't handle as much g2 voltage, but ALMOST ALL the other parameters are a very close match!

Anyone used these guys? They're supposed to be similar to 6J7 (they are listed as the same application data for both in many Sylvania tube manuals), but they look to be a bit more "friendly" for the Mullard application. I would love to get hold of a set of plate curves!

Regards,
Gordon.

Gordon,

6V6 family tubes are easy to drive. Do you have any 12AT7s in your pile? If you do, the 7C5s and 'T7s will provide the basis of a fine "El Cheapo".

Maybe you could get some milage out of the 7C7s in the 2nd gain block of a phono preamp. Hmmm, 6GK5 1st gain blocks, 7C7 2nd gain blocks, and 6F8 O/P buffers just might work out.

On the subject of similarity of 7C7 to EF86- I found "typical" plate curves for both. From my view, they look EXTREMELY similar. I would be interested in any comments anyone might have, if they notice anything that should make them work significantly differently from each other...

Here, the 7C7:

Attachments

• 7c7 plate curve.jpg
    7c7 plate curve.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 426
Here's the EF86. Yes, the scales are a little different... but note that the current vs. voltage is about the same everywhere. And note how, despite a bit of "gain" difference, the shape of the curve spacing near the bottom of the graph, is VERY similar. In fact, the 7C7 may actually have BETTER spacing "evenness"!

Attachments

• ef86 plate curve.jpg
    ef86 plate curve.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 396
If this tube is as good as it looks, it may actually supplant the EF86 in my screen-drive amp project... use the 7C7 to drive a 6C4 split-load phase splitter, in turn driving a 6SN7 diff amp for additional voltage gain, then into a 6BL7 cathode follower, driving the g2 of a pair of 6JB6s in PP...

Regards,
Gordon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.