Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2003, 10:46 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

fdegrove,

Commercially?????

I sell kits more for the sharing than profit. In fact, when it boils down to it with all the things I give away with my kits including the support after, I LOSE money. So of what benefit is it to me to defend the rantings and ravings of opoposers especially in light of cold hard technical facts?

So, do you say that military engineers of the 30's and 40's were skimping and looking for commercial value in designing circuits known as reflex circuits, passing many different signals through one compnent to cut down on the size of an electronic device they used?

I do this for the love of the craft. I share freely my experience and expertise for the benefit of all. Otherwise I would have patented and made thousands, if not millions, off of my solid state tube design, instead of freely offering it to the world on my web site! And I would charge $300 more for my kits each. After all, from what I have seen they are better constructed than some of my competition charging more, or as well constructed as those charging double. And if you have bothered to read my customer comments, better sounding, too, with NO stereo compromise.

How dare you! (not meant with as much force as it sounds)

I know, I know... who cares. At least I do, and one other who perouses this site that I know of.

Yup, a fanatic! Just like the main page of this marvellous forum says "By Fanatics for Fanatics".

Gabe
Old 10th March 2003, 10:54 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Shared cathodes(reprise)

Quote:
This is something I would never do for my own use though,
But Frank the claim that it tighten up the sound!!!...you don't believe???

Let's see the measurements:

Rigth channel

20 Hz 15Vp-p

left channel

20 Hz 5Vp-p

Less than 10 dB Stereo separation!
Old 10th March 2003, 11:12 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Talk about things that are not related!!!!!

Quote:
Let's see the measurements:

Rigth channel

20 Hz 15Vp-p

left channel

20 Hz 5Vp-p

Less than 10 dB Stereo separation!

Taken WAY out of context, too, since I did say things grew less with more capacitance, and that the one I have on my page for the 2A3 has a cap 10 times bigger! Or did you simply ignore those measurements???

Quote:
Right channel

20 Hz 15Vp-p

left channel

20 Hz 2Vp-p

With 470µF guess what? Left channel will be 0.5 p-p, or the lowest it can go without going monoblock.

Tightness of bass has way much more to do with harmonics and damping factor than crosstalk.

Yikes! Please, if we are going to argue, lets argue intelligently and not taking things out of context or ignoring facts. Please?

Of course it is easy to criticize things that haven't been experienced.

Gabe
Old 10th March 2003, 11:34 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default Shared cathode resistors...

Quote:
Yikes! Please, if we are going to argue, lets argue intelligently and not taking things out of context or ignoring facts.
I guive up...i am not inteligent enough to argue intelligently with you...I let the jugement about this to the readers of the thread...

Quote:
Of course it is easy to criticize things that haven't been experienced.
Thats is true!!...I will never try it!

PS.Funny...i remenber someone say that the reason for this is only the budget...may be i'm wrong!!
Old 10th March 2003, 11:41 PM   #35
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Stereo.

Hi,

Quote:
I know, I know... who cares. At least I do, and one other who perouses this site that I know of.
I do, so do other people around here Gabe.

My comment was more directed at Joel than it was at you and after all you do run a business? So the term "commercial" is not really out of place I assume.

Let me make it clear that I have nothing but admiration for you, your website and the goals you set for yourself.
I realise all too well that this is a tricky and very difficult field to work in, after all I've been there too although not exactly in the same way as yourself.

Nonetheless, I also hope your big enough a sport to understand that not everybody has to support the idea.

Cheers,
Old 11th March 2003, 12:05 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Tube Dude,

Quote:
Thats is true!!...I will never try it!
It is your loss.

fdegrove,

It is a "business" only inasmuch as I have a product and sell it to others. I do not stake my livlihood in it nor am even registered as a true business. It is more like "Hey Gabe, would you buy the parts for me and put together a schematic and some instructions so I can build it, and add a couple of bucks for yourself" situation.

I am not asking anyone to support anything, just try it out. But when questions to the functionality or quality are brought up, I feel compelled to reply and show evidence to the contrary.

No one even mentioned that at full power the output was the same from 20 to 20kHz, slight variations within the spectrum notwithstanding, though important. I did not adjust the input amplitude once I set it, either. Yes, the bandwidth is very wide and relatively flat. But I attribute that a bit more to the venerable 300B, and to using the cathode follower, and not to that much that I did. I am sure that you and other realize that all of it is, including the single cathode for both channels idea, 40 years old and older.

When you see the pictures (except for the 20Hz. Camera is too fast to show a full trace) you will be probably as amazed as I was at the symmetry of the wave. Very clean and low distortion again at full power. Isn't that what hi-fi is about?

While I thank you for it, I am not fishing for compliments or admiration. Nor would I appreciate it if it was condescending or patronizing. I don't think so, not from you.

But I would like for us all to get along better and see more eye to eye, since... and I am guessing here... electronics is the same all over the earth... no?

Smile!
Gabe
Old 11th March 2003, 12:19 AM   #37
diyAudio Senior Member

Default 2A3

Hi,

Quote:
It is a "business" only inasmuch as I have a product and sell it to others. I do not stake my livlihood in it nor am even registered as a true business. It is more like "Hey Gabe, would you buy the parts for me and put together a schematic and some instructions so I can build it, and add a couple of bucks for yourself" situation.
I see, my ignorance really.In my country and most of Europe you could that for a year, after that the fiscal system would skin you.

Quote:
Smile!
Like a banana,
Old 11th March 2003, 02:46 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Default Re: SHARED CATHODES.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

That anyone would do that on a monoblock I can still understand,
what I also understand is that Gabe would defend this on a commercial basis.

This is something I would never do for my own use though, guess we just have different understandings of what the better audio is about.

Cheers,

Frank,

I swear. In this thread at least, the only feeling I get from you is that you are out to make arguments.

I personally see no need for your >50dB demand of stereo seperation, since it's all going through the air anyway. Cover your right ear, mute the left channel...hear that? My God, it's audible!!!!!

Tim
Old 11th March 2003, 02:58 AM   #39
diyAudio Senior Member

Default 2a3

Tim
I would never do anything as stupid.
Do whatever you like, I don't have to agree to what I feel is a compromise?

Ciao,
Old 16th March 2003, 01:14 PM   #40
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Curiosity

Gabe:
Just for my own curiosity, and not to fan any flame's or kick it back to rehashing any one else's stubborness, could the center tap in the 5 volt winding be used to create two 2.5 volt filament supplies for the 2 2A3's? I don't have an issue with crosstalk with your Maggie circuit and I'm sure I won't have one with this either, I'm just curious as to why this wasn't mentioned and obviously, why it wouldn't work. It could save me some heart ache down the road to know.

The 6L6 amp I'm working on has fixed cathode bias for each channel and I'm thinking of combining all the two output pairs for both channels under one bias resistor to get the same surrounding effect as the Maggie. Any drawbacks here? The circuit can be seen at the Tube cad site. http://www.tubecad.com/Classic_Articles/index.html

Hide this!Advertise here!