Next project suggestions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2008, 03:17 AM   #1
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Next project suggestions

G'Day Everyone!

Have finished my EL84 "Baby Huey" build, and I am just settling in listening to it whil e trying to do university assignments. So far I am very happy with it. That doesn't mean that I am through with building though!

I have just purchased an apartment with my girlfriend, so some pretty big changes are about to happen. As well as moving in together, it will also mean a rather large mortgage! The result of this is that there will be a little (a lot actually) less cash for discretionary spending, and what I do spend will now be supervised! What I am hoping to do is maybe pre-purchase some of the expensive bits before we move in together while I can still afford it (and not have to explain it).

In the parts box I have:

Transformers:
1 x Chinese open frame "EI0086-049" 280-230-0-230-280 0.15A, 5V 3A, 6.3V 2A x 2, 12V 1.5A

Chokes:
2 x Chinese open frame "EI0086-055" 10H 250mA

Output transformers:
2 x Tamura F-684 6.6K 30 Watt Push-Pull
2 x Edcor GSXE15-6-5K 15 Watt Single Ended

Valves, many of the following:
6N9S (6SL7)
6N8S (6SN7)
6N1P
6N2P
6P3S (6L6)
various diode valves, 5U4G, GZ34, 5U4M

I am thinking of building a couple of mono block 6P3S push pull amps. Unfortunately the spec sheet that came with them are in Russian, and there are no curves. From what I can gather, the typical voltage for them is 250V, with a max anode voltage of 400V, and I think grid voltage 300V anode dissipation 20.5 Watts. It would be good to be able to have a high enough voltage to be able to try other octal valve types as well. For what it is worth, I have tried these valves in my SimpleSE with a B+ of about 450V and they work (they do glow a dull orange, so did not have them in long).

So, the questions. What topology/schematic would you recommend? That will lead me to being able to determine the power transformer requirements. Perhaps something around 280-0-280 or 300-0-300 with about 200mA? Have used Chinese EI and R type transformers, and they have been OK. Have used Hammond a few times as well. Has anyone tried Edcor for the power transformers? Have been very happy with the output transformers, but their range of 240 volt primary power transformers is limited. I will probably pay the $20 design fee and get 3, one for each monoblock and one for a SE stereo using the Edcore output transformers I have.

As always, thanks for the help.

Chris
Old 28th April 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just a little bump...

Think my previous post was a bit rambling. Just after some suggestions for a next project. Have a set of Tamura F-684 6.6K 30W PP output transformers. After an octal based project as I have just built an EL84 PP 'Baby Huey'.

I have 8 6P3S valves, so would be cool if I could use them. Maybe a design that I could try some other types in too, maybe EL34? Understand the 6P3S likes lower voltage than EL34. Maybe switcheable choke/cap input power supply for variable voltage?

Any suggestions welcome!

Chris
Old 29th April 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

maybe if I post some of the schematics I am looking at someone might be able to offer some input or suggestions.

How about this?

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/audio/6l6_2.htm

As my last project used constant CCS for both stages, I am happy to modify to incorporate these types of devices if there will be an overall improvement.

Any input welcome guys

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!