• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformer current question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying my hand at designing a power supply, but I have a question about center tapped transformers.

I have a Hammond 373BX rated for 700Vac and 175ma. Using a two diode full wave rectifier with the center tap to ground, can I assume that I effectively have 350Vac and 350ma?

Yes, that has been my experience, provided that the given current rating was across the full winding to begin with. In using centre tapped full wave rectification, each half of the secondary is given some time to cool while the other side is delivering current. The primary winding only cares how many total VA are being drawn and you won't exceed that with half the voltage and twice the current.

Ok. To apply the same idea. Let's say I have a target B+ of 345vdc at about 27ma. I've got a 500vct transformer that's rated for 40ma at that voltage. I could then guess that I'll have an effective 57ma with a full wave rectifier and my 10H 500ohm choke. According to PSU Designer II I should be just a bit under the mark, but close enough.

Example:

500vct/40ma --> UF4007 full wave --> 47uf --> 10H 500ohm --> 120uf --> 27ma current source = ~325v B+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.